Why are students mandated to purchase meal plans?

The rationale for the program was to promote an atmosphere of belonging and participation.  Numerous studies have indicated that most engaged students, those residing on-campus and dining on- campus have experienced substantial social and educational benefits from their on-campus experiences.

Another primary reason for this policy is to assist our 1st year resident students with that difficult transition from High School to college.

How do I get a Charger Card?

If you are on campus, please stop by and visit us in Charger Union room 131 (next to the Bookstore).

We can take your photo and print out a Charger Card for you very quickly.

Orientation Students

  • How to submit your photo online
    • Read the guidelines and review examples of proper photos.
    • Log into your new Charger Card account on myUAH and look under "Campus Services."
      • Under "Campus Services" click on "Online Photo Submission" link located below the "Charger Card" heading.
    • After clicking the link you will arrive to your Charger Card student information page. Please click the link there to submit a new photo.
    • Your new Charger Card will be available for pickup at the check-out table at your scheduled orientation session.

**Important – Please remember to bring a valid government issued photo ID card to obtain your Charger Card.**

Non-Orientation Students
  • If you are replacing a lost Charger Card, please stop by Charger Union 131 and we'll quickly assist you in replacing your card.
  • If this is your first semester, you are encouraged to submit a photo online beforehand through our online portal to speed up the process of getting a new Charger Card.
    • You are also welcome to come to our office in Charger Union, room 131 with a copy of your current class schedule and picture ID during our regular office hours.

If I want to change my meal plan, how do I make this change?

Whether their purchase is required or voluntary, students have the first two weeks of classes to make any changes to their dining options.

Please visit the Forms to fill out a Meal Plan Change Request. Please note, all requests are processed manually.


How do I add money to one of my Charger Card accounts throughout the semester?

There are three ways to deposit funds onto Charger Cards:

  • Flex and Dining Dollar deposits can be made online.
  • Cash deposits can be made through PHIL machines onto Flex or Dining Dollar accounts.
    • These machines are located on the first floor of Salmon Library next to the vending machines, the first floor of Charger Union next to vending and also in the Conference Training Center lobby.
  • Deposits by cash, check, or credit card are accepted by cashiers in the Bursar’s Office (SSB 123) between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
  • Credit card payments are accepted by telephone at (256) 824-6226.

Can money be added to my Charger Card account over the phone with a credit card?

Yes. Call 256-824-6226, but expect a 24-hour delay in our placing the amount on your card.

Can I mail payments for deposit to my Charger Card account?

Yes. The money will be added to your account within 24 hours of receiving it in the Cashiers Office. Checks should be made payable to UAH and should include your student ID number (A#) and type of deposit. Please mail:

Cashier's Office
Student Services Building, Room 123
Huntsville, AL 35899-5050

Unless otherwise instructed, we will apply the deposit to your Flex account.

Can anyone else use my Charger Card?

No, you should never lend your card to anyone.

Can I use my Dining Dollars or Meal Plan in the bookstore?

No, the only accounts you can use are Flex funds and Athletic Book Scholarships.

What should I do if I lose my Charger card?

Please notify the Charger Card office immediately by phone 256-824-2720 or in person in Charger Union room 131.  We will freeze the card and its accounts and access privileges until a replacement card can be made.  A $25.00 replacement fee will be charged to your student account. If after hours and for safety or security issues, contact the Office of Public Safety at 256-824-6596.

What if my card does not work or gets damaged?

Take your card to the Charger Card Office for inspection. Sometimes the magnetic strip's encoding is erased or your card is not programmed correctly. Depending on the circumstances, a $25.00 fee may be charged if replacement is necessary. Please take care of your Charger Card's physical condition, keeping it away from abrasive materials, cell phones and other devices with a magnetic field.

Can I get the current balance of my card account or a copy of my transactions?

Yes. Given proper identification, we can provide your card account information to the Charger Card Office, Charger Union room 131. A cashier at a point-of-sale terminal and cash deposit machines (PHIL machines) can also give account balances. You can also login to my.uah.edu to check your Charger Card account balances (located under "Campus Services").

Can I request an exemption from the meal plan requirement for off-campus full-time students?

Yes, please visit our Forms page to fill out a Meal Plan Requirement Exemption Request.

If your student status has changed to less than 12 hours, you no longer have the requirement. However, you are responsible for notifying the Charger Card office in writing within the two-week deadline or you will have to keep the plan for the semester.

Contact the Charger Card Office

What happens to my meal plan if I withdraw from the University? Do I get a refund?

If you are a Housing resident, please contact the Housing Office to complete the check-out process. For off-campus students, please notify the Charger Card Office that you have withdrawn from all classes and we will refund your unused meal plan.

Contact the Charger Card Office

What happens to my Dining Dollars at the end of each semester? 

Your Dining Dollar balance will carry over from Fall to Spring semesters, and expire at end of the Spring semester.

What happens to my Flex dollars at the end of each semester? 

Flex account does not expire. You can request a flex refund when you graduate or leave UAH.

After 1 year of inactivity, we will deduct $25 Flex every year, until the flex account is zero.

naccu member