What degree will I earn?

You will earn a Master of Education Degree (M.Ed) in Differentiated Instruction. Your "concentration" will be listed on your transcript. 

When can I begin courses in the M.Ed program?

Cohorts begin every Summer (end of May) and Fall (August) semester. The Department may allow some students to begin in the Spring semester (January) upon consultation with the advisor. 

What must I do to be admitted to the M.Ed program?

Complete and submit the online application process for UAH Graduate School by accessing https://www.uah.edu/graduate/programs/masters-degrees#Education. A non-refundable application fee of $40 for domestic students and $50 for international students must accompany the application. Applicants who have previously enrolled at UAH will pay a $25 fee.

Applicants must request that official transcripts and test score reports (GRE or MAT) be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Applicants must submit documentation of a valid Alabama teaching certificate and related Background Clearance. Applicants with non-Alabama teaching certificates will be required to submit their current out-of-state teaching certificate as well as obtain Background Clearance through Cogent. 

What are the graduate admission requirements for the M.Ed program?

Applicants must hold a valid Alabama Class B teaching certificate, or equivalent, from an approved institution. The following minimum criteria must be met.

Unconditional Admission

To be admitted unconditionally, applicants must satisfy at least one of the following criteria:

  1. A minimum grade-point average of 3.0 on the undergraduate record, OR

  2. A minimum score of 146 on the Verbal and 140 on the Quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or a score of 388 on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), OR

  3. At least 3 years of documented successful teaching experience as a licensed Class B Educator.

For whom is the M.Ed program designed?

The program is designed for certified teachers (Class B license) who want to strengthen their knowledge and skills in serving students from diverse backgrounds. Completers of the M.Ed program are eligible for Class A certification.

Concentration OptionsClass A CertificationRequires


Elementary Education (K-6)

Class B Elementary (K-6) License

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Collaborative (K-6) or Collaborative (6-12)

Class B License in any teaching field

Reading Specialist

Reading Specialist (K-12) Class B License and 2 years teaching experience


ESOL (K-12) Class B License in any teaching field

Secondary Education

Secondary Education (6-12) Class B Secondary (6-12) License

How is the program structured and delivered?

All course content will be delivered online. Assignments will be submitted online at the time of day and place of your choice. The program requires extensive clinical experiences through coursework activities applied to the student's classroom. 

Is this program approved by the Alabama State Department of Education?


If an individual is unconditionally admitted to an Alabama Class A program based on a valid bachelor’s- or valid master’s-level professional educator certificate from another state, completes a Class A program, and subsequently applies for Alabama certification at the Class A level, then the individual must hold at least Class B certification before applying for Class A certification.  

Is the UAH Teacher Education program nationally accredited?

Yes. The UAH Teacher Education unit is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

What is the cost for the M.Ed courses?

UAH offers competitive tuition. Tuition rates can be found on the UAH Bursar's Office website.

Will I need to take any Praxis exams?

Maybe. All candidates in the Reading Specialist and ESOL programs will be required to pass the content exams for those programs. If a candidate has a Class B certificate outside of collaborative teaching/special education and is completing Collaborative Teaching: Autism Spectrum Disorders program, they will be required to take the Praxis II Special Education exam. All candidates must discuss Praxis exam requirements with their advisor and pass the exam before apply for certification.

Who will be the instructors for the M.Ed courses?

You will have the opportunity to learn from experienced and highly-qualified faculty with doctoral degrees, extensive professional experience and scholarly productivity in their respective fields. Areas of expertise include: differentiated instruction, special education, elementary education, reading education, early childhood education, autism spectrum disorders, sensory disorders, educational psychology, technology, and educational research.

You will have opportunities to engage in focused and one-on-one interactions with leading instructors who are committed to providing you a robust education where research and theory are directly connected to YOUR classroom.

May coursework used to meet a Class B certification and/or bachelor degree requirements be used to meet Class A certification?

No.  Coursework used to meet bachelor's degree requirements cannot be used to meet requirements for Class A or Alternative Class A Certification in any teaching field.