What are export controls?

  • Export controls are U.S. laws and regulations that govern the export of strategically important technology, services, and information, including equipment and technology used in research, for reasons of foreign policy and national security.
  • The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are the bodies of regulations most likely to affect research institutions.
  • Additionally, the U.S. government, through the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, maintains boycotts and embargoes of certain countries that can affect many of the activities and financial transactions that take place in an academic institution.
  • The UAH Office of International Services, together with the Office of Research Security, is responsible for developing and implementing internal operating procedures to ensure UAH study abroad activities and programs are screened for compliance with export control laws and regulations.

How do export controls affect my study abroad program at UAH?

  • Travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem. However, any export of technology, even temporarily, is subject to U.S. export control regulations and, in some cases, the host country’s import regulations. This can apply even to laptops and other widely available technologies. Additionally, certain entities have been placed on “restricted-party” lists that could prohibit us from doing business with them.

I am a faculty/staff member planning to lead a study abroad program, what should I be aware in lieu of export controls?

  • In the case of UAH students’ international travel, it is the responsibility of the university activity organizer (faculty or staff) to seek and obtain appropriate export control approvals from the Office of Research Security for activities including, but not limited to, the following: execution of agreements performable outside the United States; non-credit bearing travel; and making payments to Foreign Persons or vendors.
  • The organizer (faculty or staff member) should pay particular attention when there are foreign persons enrolled in the university program abroad. Extra screening is required.

    All Foreign Persons enrolled in a UAH credit bearing program abroad or participating in a UAH non-credit bearing program, activity, or field trip abroad, who have not previously attended UAH and are not enrolled as continuing students at a college or university based in the United States, will undergo Restricted Party Screening (RPS) prior to participation in the Study Abroad program or in the non-credit bearing program, activity, or field trip as soon as reasonably possible once identified.

    The International Student Services assigned personnel will be responsible for completing RPS for Foreign Persons involved in UAH student international travel, in coordination with the Office of Research Security. Records will be maintained by the Office of Research Security or other relevant departments and offices, as appropriate.

What do I need to do before embarking on a study abroad program?

  • Ensure that your destination is not subject to a boycott or embargo (eg. -Cuba, Iran, North Korea, etc.). If it is, licenses must be obtained and additional restrictions could apply to the program – start early! If you are not sure whether your destination is on the embargo list, consult the Office of Study Abroad Programs.
  • If UAH is entering into an agreement or contract with a foreign entity in conjunction with your study abroad program, restricted party screening (RPS) will be run before entering the agreement or contract to ensure that the entity does not appear on any restricted-party list.
  • If UAH property (laptops, PDAs, etc.) is being exported during the study abroad, follow the normal procedure for clearing it through the Office of Research Security (ORS). View Instructions.
  • If the study abroad involves conducting or collaborating on research abroad, or the students and/or faculty are planning to take potentially export-controlled research with them, contact the ORS office.

Should I and where can I take export control training?

  • UAH regulates that all University personnel (faculty, staff and students) planning to travel abroad need to be compliant with export control laws and regulations. Export control training is required for this purpose.
  • On-line export control training is available for faculty, staff, and students to become export control certified.

Where can I get help with an export control question at UAH?

  • Visit the Office of Research Security - Export Control website
  • Call ORS at 256.824.4818.
  • Drop by VBH Annex D