Prior to any travel outside the U.S. Please check out the link below for Travel Alerts and Warnings:



UAH faculty, staff and students commonly bring their laptops, cell phones, GPS, PDAs, data storage devices and other electronic devices loaded with information and software (Devices) with them not only across campus, but also to other countries. Although taking Devices to international destinations seems routine, individuals doing so may be “exporting” the Device for possible violations of the U.S. export control laws and regulations. Such “exports” may require a license from the U.S. government. Export control regulations may also govern a UAH traveler’s use of another person’s Device while traveling, and a UAH traveler permitting someone else to use his or her Device while outside the United States.

Most international travel with Devices will not require a license. UAH travelers should be familiar with the applicable export control regulations, however, and strive to comply, because violations can result in the imposition of criminal sanctions and heavy civil penalties.

Fortunately, travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem. In some cases, an exemption to the license requirements is available. Two License Exceptions are available 1)License Exception TMP (Temporary Exports) 2) License Exception BAG (Baggage). Please review the Travel Matrix, it can be found at the link below:

Travel Matrix

Please keep in mind that ORS offers sanitized iPads and laptops to checkout for foreign travel. If you decide not to take your personal electronic devices or UAH devices please contact ORS to checkout a sanitized device.

Please Contact the Office of Research Security if you have any questions regarding export control issues related to your projects or travel outside the U.S. at 256-824-6444, or 256-824-6048.