General Information

How do I contact University Housing?

Charger Village, Room 118
601 John Wright Drive
Huntsville, AL 35805 

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:15 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., excluding university holidays.

Annual Security Report

Each year the UAH Police Department issues an annual campus security report. View the current UAH campus security report.

What are the building codes referenced on this page?

BC - Bevill Center                               FFH - Frank Franz Hall

CCH - Central Campus Hall                FSH - Fraternity and Sorority Housing

CVA - Charger Village Addition          NCH - North Campus Hall

CVO - Charger Village Original           SCH - Southeast Campus Housing

Housing Requirements for Undergraduates

Who is required to live on campus?

All first year full-time undergraduate students with a permanent legal residence beyond a 30-mile radius from campus are required to live in the campus residence halls.

Are there exceptions to the mandatory housing requirement for first year full-time undergraduate students?

Yes. Individuals meeting the following criteria may submit an exemption request and will be approved upon receipt of the Request for Waiver of Housing Requirement form and any required supporting documents:

  • Students who are at least 21 years old prior to the first day of classes of their first enrolled term
  • Married students and/or students with children
  • Students with a documented medical hardship
  • Students who have earned 48 or more credit hours from an accredited college/university

Other exemption requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Request for Waiver of Housing Requirement forms must be submitted ten working days prior to the first day of classes of the term for which the waiver is requested.

Application Process and Room Assignments

How do I apply for Undergraduate Housing?

Upon being admitted to the university, you can apply for housing online through your Residential Self-Service. A how to video is provided to walk you through on filling out the housing contract. 

When do I apply for housing?

It is never too late to apply for housing; however, you must first be admitted to the university. Early application increases your chances of receiving your preferred housing assignment. We suggest you apply by June 1 for the following Fall semester or by November 1 for the following Spring semester.

Am I guaranteed housing when I apply?

On-campus housing is guaranteed for students who meet the first year full-time undergraduate housing requirement. All other students are assigned housing based upon date of application and space availability.

What fees are due at time of application?

There is a non-refundable application fee of $125. The fee is required to be paid in full in order to process the application. Should you decide to cancel your housing contract, you must submit a Housing Contract Appeal form to request a cancellation. The application fee will not be refunded if you cancel your application.  Failure to cancel housing prior to the applicable semester will result in a campus housing and/or meal plan charge.

Do I get to pick my roommate?

You will be provided access to MyCollegeRoomie once your application is submitted. You will be able to select up to three roommates through this software system. University Housing cannot guarantee all roommate requests, but will make all efforts to accommodate your request.

When will I receive my room assignment?

Once all room assignments are completed, they are posted online in your myUAH self-service account under "My Housing". Fall assignments are typically posted in the middle of June to allow the maximum amount of time for pairing roommates.

Once my room is assigned, can I request a room change?

If you would like to request a room change prior to moving in, please contact University Housing at If you would like to request a room change after moving in, please contact your Resident Director. University Housing allows room changes to occur, depending on room availability.

Housing Contract and Payment Information

What is the housing contract period and can I terminate my housing contract early?

Housing contracts are effective for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). If you wish to terminate your contract early, you must speak with your Resident Director prior to starting the Housing Contract Appeal process. You are required to fulfill all terms of your contract unless you graduate, are academically dismissed, are no longer enrolled, or have an approved extenuating circumstance from the Housing office. Financial difficulties are not a contractually approved justification to terminate your contract and must be approved by the Director of Housing & Residence Life.

When is payment due?

For your convenience, University Housing splits your housing costs into a Fall and Spring semester payment. You may also choose to participate in a deferred payment plan that offers payment installments through the Bursar's office located in the Student Services Building. 

What is included in the room rate?

Your room rate covers the cost of your room for the entire academic year and includes Xfinity On Campus, Internet service, 24-hour security and all maintenance and utilities (electricity, water, gas, trash removal, everything!). All services are "wrapped" into one cost that is posted on your student account.

Will my financial aid pay for housing?

Yes. Financial aid typically is applied to all charges on your student account, including housing, Any remaining balance is to be paid by you or your parent/guardian. Visit Financial Aid for more details.

Is on-campus living a better value than renting off campus?

When compared with off-campus rental apartments or houses, on-campus living is often less expensive and more convenient. On-campus living fees include the cost of all utilities, Xfinity On Campus, Internet service, phone and 24-hour security; no deposit, connection, service, or termination fees are required. And, you receive only one bill for all services. Additionally, on-campus students don't have the hassle of subletting or paying needless rent for an empty apartment or house during the summer.

Room Accommodations

Can I view suites before moving in?

You can arrange a tour by contacting the Office of Admissions at The tour will be of the show suite in Frank Franz.

Can the university accommodate my disability?

UAH is committed to making reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. If you have special housing needs, please reference it on your housing application. You must also contact the Office of Disability Services at 256.824.1997. It is important for us to be aware of your needs as early as possible so we can assist you in obtaining suitable accommodations.

Is there Internet connectivity in the student rooms?

Yes! All student rooms in all residence halls and apartments have wired and wireless Internet connectivity. Bevill Center only has wireless internet. 

Are there kitchens and laundry facilities in every residence hall?

Yes. Kitchens and laundry facilities are provided in all residence halls. In fact, Charger Village Addition and Charger Village Original has kitchen and laundry facilities on EVERY floor of the facility.

Are microwaves and refrigerators furnished?

All campus residence halls, except SCH, have microwaves in the suite. A refrigerator is also provided in each campus residence hall suite (CCH rooms have mini-fridges). You may bring your own microwave and refrigerator (up to four cubic feet), but in most cases it is not necessary.

What about furniture?

All residence hall rooms come fully furnished. You are not allowed to take university-provided furniture out of the residence hall suite. We encourage you to not bring additional furniture (except televisions, computers, etc.) as all residence hall rooms are fully furnished.

Are the residence halls open during the break periods?

Our residence halls will remain open throughout breaks that occur during the academic year (Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring). 

Do I have to move all of my belongings out of my room during winter break?

No, you are not required to remove your belongings during the winter break if you are returning for the spring semester. You are, however, required to remove belongings over the summer break.

Moving In, What to Bring, and Other Considerations

When is Move-In Day for Fall 2022?

The move-in date for Fall 2022 is August 11th and 12th. The residence halls will be split between the two days as students have to select a time slot to check-in. 

Can I move in prior to Move-In Day?

If you would like to request an earlier move-in date, please contact our office at 256.824.6108 for more information. Depending on availability, we may be able to meet your request or offer an option.

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes. You obtain your required parking decal from the UAH Parking Office.

What should I bring?

You should bring bed linens (extra-long twins), a pillow, and bath linens. We also recommend you bring an alarm clock, desk lamp, beverage glasses, iron, clothes hangers, and/or a laundry bag. Window blinds or shades are provided in each room, but you may bring fire-resistant curtains or drapes. Prior to move in day, you will receive a "what to bring" list for your reference.

Are pets allowed?

Pets are not allowed on campus. Fish, in aquariums 10 gallons or smaller, are allowed. There is a strict financial penalty for housing an unallowable pet. If you require the assistance of a service animal, contact the Office of Disability Services 256.824.1997.

How do I receive mail and packages?

Mail and packages are delivered to the Resident Mail Room which is located in Charger Village. Mail is delivered every night to each residence hall and placed in the student's mailbox. 

Do I have to have a meal plan?

All UAH students (including commuters) are required to purchase a meal plan. For more meal plan information, please visit University Dining.

Should I purchase renter's insurance?

Yes. It is recommended you purchase renters insurance or see if a homeowner's policy covers loss of personal property. University Housing does not cover personal property damage or loss that occurs in the residence hall. If you are interested, you can purchase a plan through GradGuard.

What if my roommate and I do not get along?

Roommate conflicts happen among even the best of friends. Please speak with your roommate about the situation. You can also ask your Resident Assistant or your Resident Director for assistance in setting up a roommate mediation meeting.