The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering department offers graduate students the opportunity to take part in activities like teaching and research. We encourage students to reach out to faculty for Graduate Research Assistant positions and to the main office about Graduate Teaching Assistant positions.

Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)

A graduate research assistant works closely with faculty on solving critical problems, conducting research and collecting data, necessary for proposals, publications, and thesis/dissertation. There are opportunities to work with industry partners as a member of a faculty research team.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)

A graduate teaching assistant works closely with faculty in the coordination of teaching labs and grading assignments. The GTA also serves as a critical resource for students and their success. In addition, a GTA plays an essential role as a member of a faculty's research team.


  • A student must be admitted to either of the MAE department’s Masters thesis or PhD programs
  • At the time of admission, a student must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and must maintain the minimum GPA requirement during their appointment
  • A student is required to enroll in 9 semester hours during the fall and spring semesters and 6 semester hours during the summer semester; only graduate courses used toward degree completion fulfill this requirement

What are the Benefits of an MAE Assistantship?

  • Tuition and fees will be paid, which are based on the in-state graduate tuition rates
  • A stipend is paid to the student on a bi-weekly basis through the duration of the student’s assignment
  • A student has the option to accept or decline the UAH Student Health Insurance; this information will be reported directly to the MAE department and the student instructed when to register for the health insurance
  • A student will gain professional experience in teaching and research while working on their graduate degree

Graduate Assistantship Application

This form is only required if you did not complete the graduate assistantship section during the admission process. Apply for a graduate assistant position using the MAE Graduate Assistantship Form

Apply for Graduate Assistantship