The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers academic-year length fellowships for research, creative work, and teaching English in 140 countries. In general, there are two types of Fulbright grants.

  • English Teaching Assistantship (ETA): Fulbright ETAs assist with English language instruction and provide cultural education about the United States. Fulbright ETAs generally teach 20 hours per week. In most cases, they should also have a side project to help them occupy the rest of their time.
  • Research Grant: This grant enables recipient to undertake a research project in a foreign country. Applicants must have a well-defined project and provide a letter of affiliation from a foreign institution.

The grant generally covers the following:

  • Round-trip transportation to the host country
  • Funding to cover room, board, and incidental costs, based on the cost of living in the host country
  • Accident & Sickness Health Benefits

Applicants may apply only to one country for one type of grant. In general, the length of grants is for one academic year. Please check the individual countries' Fulbright websites for more details the number and types of grants available as well as about grant length and dates.


  • US citizen.
  • Hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent by start of grant.
  • Sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to carry out the proposed study or English teaching assistantship. Please note that different countries have different requirements for foreign language proficiency.


Selectivity rates vary by individual country and the type and number of programs available in each country. Please consult with Dr. Johnson or the Fulbright website regarding specific selectivity rates for individual countries based on the types of grants available in each country.


For more information about the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, please contact:

Jennifer Staton

Fellowship & Graduate School Advisor, Honors college

 Frank Franz Hall 113C