Go to va.gov to request a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You will need to submit a 22-1990 Application You can also call the VA regional line at 888-442-4551 M-F 8am-7pm ET. Please remember it can take up to eight weeks for VA to process your application and send you a Certificate of Eligibility.

You should contact VA to make sure there is no mistake in your records. If your benefits have extinguished, you are still responsible for your student account balance.

Veterans Affairs (VA) will process back pay for up to a year or more depending on your benefits and when you became eligible for your benefits. You can contact our office to process your back pay.

If you receive education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), use Web Automated Verification Enrollment (WAVE) to verify your enrollment.

If you receive education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, verify your enrollment by responding to a monthly text message from the VA. If this option doesn’t work for you, please call the VA regional line at 888-442-4551 Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm ET. For more information click here.

Yes, use the same contact info listed above.

Yes. A school may require a student to pay late charges for which there is no expectation VA will pay based on statute or VA regulations. A student must be in compliance with required COE and Enrollment Verification for the upcoming semester to protect them from penalty. If a current (unexpired) COE and Enrollment Verification form is on file prior to the first day of the term, you will be spared any late fees pending VA payment. View the UAH Billing and Payment policies here.

Children must be 18 years of age, a high school graduate or have GED to utilize VA Dependent Educational Assistance (DEA). They can only be certified if their high school has been approved through SAA. Though taking college level courses, these offerings are often concurrent courses that the student needs to fulfill their high school requirements and won’t qualify as “degree seeking”.

You will need to complete the Enrollment Verification Form (Previously known as the "Blue Form"). This form has been moved online for your convenience and offers an option to attach your current Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, if you have not already submitted it to us. The Enrollment Verification from needs to be completed each semester. Once completed it is forwarded electronically to your Advisor for their approval.

Instructions for the certification process and other valuable resources are available on our webpage.

Certification is not processed automatically every semester for returning students. You must initiate certification by submitting the Enrollment Verification Form (Previously known as the "Blue Form"). This form has been moved online for your convenience. Once completed it is forwarded electronically to your Advisor for their approval.

Veteran Affairs (VA) takes approximately 4 weeks to process a claim. If you have not received notice or payment from VA after this time, you may contact VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 to verify if payment has been processed.

We recommend that you have all your paperwork submitted as soon as you register for classes and well in advance of the first day of the term to avoid delays in payment. Be aware of how your benefit pays out, whether its directly to you or to the school for tuition and fees. If you anticipate your benefit will not cover all costs, you should plan to pay your balance in full by the start of the term or arrange for a payment plan with the Bursar to protect against fees and holds on your account.

All federal benefits will pay a monthly stipend depending on how many classes are certifiable by our office (full-time, ¾ time, ½ time, ¼ time or less). Go to www.gibill.va.gov for current payout rates and descriptions of the all available educational benefits. Chapter 33 (POST 9/11) and Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) both pay additional benefits.

Chapter 33 includes a housing and book stipend paid to the student as well as in-state tuition paid directly to UAH. The amount varies on the eligibility of the student which can range from 40% - 100% depending on the amount of service and type of discharge.

Chapter 31 includes tuition payments (not limited to in-state tuition) and also a supplies stipend which can cover books, computers and other needed supplies. Your Vocational Rehab case manager can explain further limitations.

Under Chapter 33, you can be reimbursed for certain national exams needed for admissions. These include SAT, ACT, GMAT, and LSAT.

For Chapter 33 recipients, Veterans Affairs (VA) will submit to UAH the amount of the graduation fee up to the percentage you are eligible. This does not include cap and gown purchase or rental.

Yes. Veterans Affairs (VA) will pay for any certificate program as long as it is listed as an approved program on the WEAMS website.

Yes. VA will pay for any program listed as an approved program on the WEAMS website.

VA does not pay UAH the housing allowance. The housing allowance and book stipend under Chapter 33 are paid directly to the student and it is up to the student to pay UAH for housing charges.

Yes. You must furnish a Parent School Letter provided by your home institution’s certifying official to UAH’s certifying official. The Parent School Letter will confirm that the classes taken at UAH will apply to the degree program being pursued at the home institution (or vice versa).

You should call the VA Regional Helpline: 1-888-442-4551.

Yes, tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed up to $100 per month up to a maximum of $1200.

To apply for tutorial assistance click here. The UAH certifying official and tutor must both sign the form.

Visit: https://www.va.gov/change-direct-deposit/

To update your Direct Deposit or address by phone:

Call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

If you drop a course or withdraw from school after the drop period and receive a non-punitive grade, VA will reduce benefits effective the first day of the term unless mitigating circumstances are found. Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from continuing in school or that cause the student to reduce credits.

  • An illness or death in the student’s immediate family.
  • An unavoidable change in the student’s conditions of employment.
  • An unavoidable geographical transfer resulting from the student’s employment.
  • Immediate family or financial obligations beyond the control of the claimant that require him or her to suspend pursuit of the program of education to obtain employment.
  • Discontinuance of the course by the school.
  • Unanticipated active military service, including active duty for training.
  • Unanticipated difficulties with childcare arrangements the student has made for the period during which he or she is attending classes.

No. Any veteran’s benefits paid under any law administered by Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

No. The student should notify the Dean of Students, provide documentation of the call to service, and submit notification whether or not the student intends to return to the University.