CollegeCounts Alabama's Section 529 Plan | Investment Options 

The CollegeCounts 529 Fund offers tremendous tax advantages including tax-deferred growth and tax-free withdrawals for qualified college expenses.1In addition, Alabama taxpayers are eligible for a state income tax deduction of up to $5,000 per individual ($10,000 if married filing jointly).  2Over time, these tax advantages, along with your investment dollars, can help provide additional savings for college. For additional information see the Tax Q&A.

How To Enroll

Enrollment Form | Payroll Deduction Form

  1. Complete Enrollment Form and send to CollegeCounts at the address on the form to establish your account.
  2. Complete the Payroll Deduction Form.  The Payroll Deduction form should be sent to both CollegeCounts and UAH Payroll Services in Shelbie King Hall 127 or send both forms to Payroll and they will be send to CollegeCounts on your behalf. 

Contact Information

Program Manager -  Union Bank & Trust Company

Phone:  866.529.2228 | Fax: 402.323.1797 | Email:

Regular Mail:
CollegeCounts 529 Fund
PO Box 85290
Lincoln, NE 68501-5290

Overnight Mail:
CollegeCounts 529 Fund
6811 South 27th Street
Lincoln, NE 68512

State Treasurer of Alabama

Phone:  334.242.7500 | Email:

Mailing Address:
Alabama State Capitol
600 Dexter Avenue, Room S-106
Montgomery, AL 36104

Withdrawals used to pay for qualified higher education-related expenses are free from federal and Alabama state income tax. These expenses include tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment at a qualified institution of higher education. Room and board is considered a qualified education-related expense if the student is enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

A deduction, not to exceed $5,000 per taxpayer, is allowed as an adjustment to income on the Alabama income tax return for contributions made to the CollegeCounts 529 Fund or the PACT Program. The deduction may equal an amount up to $10,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return where both taxpayers are making such contributions into the CollegeCounts 529 Fund or the PACT Program (closed to new investors).