Motor Pool

The Motor Pool is a fleet of three 8/12-passenger vans that can be utilized by campus personnel for University business trips or for transporting groups of students, employees, or visitors.  A highly competitive rental rate is offered.  Motor Pool vehicles receive routine service. In addition, each vehicle is cleaned and receives a safety inspection after each rental. Our administration is currently reviewing the Motor Pool process for future usages.

Renting a Motor Pool Vehicle

Reservations by authorized drivers may be made by submitting a completed Motor Pool Checkout Form to the F&O Service Desk. This application should be submitted at least one week before checkout to ensure that a vehicle is available.  Instructions on becoming an authorized driver are listed below.

Keys are available for pick up at the F&O Service Desk located in the Physical Plant Building, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Upon completion of travel, keys should be returned to the same location or may be placed in the key drop box located at the south entrance of the Physical Plant Building.

Instructions to Become an Authorized Driver

To become an authorized driver, the following forms must be submitted to the F&O Service Desk, two weeks before the vehicle is needed.

  • Certified Background - Due to strictly enforced state policy requirements and to ensure compliance with the Federal Drivers Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), a signed Disclosure and Authorization form must be completed by all applicants needing a Motor Vehicle Record. All seven pages of the form must be submitted.
  • Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Release Forms - Fleet Services will submit MVR requests to the University’s insurance company upon initial request for authorized driver status and yearly thereafter.  Only individuals with an MVR that meet VSMP guidelines will be allowed to drive a University vehicle. Please read the new process for submitting MVR Forms to avoid delays in the authorization process.
  • Driver's License – A copy of the individual’s driver's license should be submitted and will be kept on file at Fleet Services.  When the license expires, Fleet Services will request a copy of the renewed license in order for authorized driver status to continue.
  • Driver Safety Training – Students, faculty, and staff must complete the Driver Safety Training Course prior to operating a UAH vehicle.   Instructions for completing the course are found in this document:  Defensive Driving Registration Instructions
  • Driver Safety Training Course Transcript – Persons successfully completing the defensive driving course must forward a copy of the course transcript to the Fleet Services office.
  • Vehicle Safety Management Program (VSMP) – The VSMP policy should be read prior to driving a University vehicle.  Information regarding the VSMP is below.
  • Please email all completed documents to

Once the above documents have been submitted and approved, you may rent a vehicle from the Motor Pool fleet.

Vehicle Safety Management Program

The Vehicle Safety Management Program is intended to foster a proactive approach to safe driving practices, thereby promoting the safety of University employees and the general public and reducing the number of vehicle accidents. Specifically, Fleet Services provides support in several ways:

  • Inspects, maintains, and repairs University-owned vehicles and removes from service any vehicle not in compliance with University safety standards.
  • Ensures that an accurate vehicle maintenance record is made and retained for each University-owned vehicle.
  • Processes newly acquired vehicles, ensuring that proper documentation and licensure is made and that their condition is in compliance with University vehicle safety standards. Places ownership and insurance records as well as safety equipment in the vehicles.
  • Performs a safety inspection and title examination for any used vehicle projected for purchase by the University or any vehicle slated to be donated to the University.
  • Annually processes Motor Vehicle Record Request/Release Forms  by sending such forms to the insurance company and maintaining records of the request and insurance company's response.
  • Notifies the Office of Counsel and UAH's insurance carrier of any accident of University-owned vehicles. Maintains records of such accidents and assists the driver in obtaining police reports and filing insurance claim forms.
  • Coordinates repairs to, and/or disposition of, University vehicles.

Fuel Management

To facilitate the refueling of the vehicles operated by various departments of the University, Fleet Services makes available two fuel pumps; one for unleaded fuel and one for diesel. The two pumps are located at the rear of the Physical Plant Building. All vehicles are assigned and issued a gas key which must be inserted into the computerized pumps and used in conjunction with an employee identification number. The department reimburses Fleet Services for any fuel used monthly. Any department wishing to use the fuel management system may do so by contacting Fleet Services.

For questions regarding Motor Pool vehicles, contact Fleet Services at or 256.824.2594.