The Associate Vice President of Finance & Business Services has been vested with the sole authority to obligate University funds to outside vendors and has been delegated the responsibility for administration of policies. No individual has the authority to enter into purchase contracts or in any way obligate the University unless authorized by Procurement Services. The University's policy is: "The University will assume no obligation except on a previously issued and duly authorized Purchase Order." An individual who obligates the University without authorization may be held personally responsible for the obligation.

Firms ordinarily conducting business with the University are made aware of this policy and are advised that all purchases chargeable to the University must be covered by an official University Purchase Order.

The following statement is applicable to all Purchase Orders and Limited Purchase Orders:

Certification Pursuant To Act No. 2006-557

Alabama Law (Section 41-4-116, Code of Alabama 1975) provides that every bid submitted and contract executed shall contain a certification that the vendor, contractor, and all of its affiliates that make sales for delivery into Alabama or leases for use in Alabama are registered, collecting, and remitting Alabama state and local sales, use, and/or lease tax on all taxable sales and leases into Alabama. By accepting this Purchase Order, the vendor is hereby certifying that they are in full compliance with Act No. 2006-557, they are not barred from bidding or entering into a contract pursuant to 41-4-116, and acknowledges that the awarding authority may declare the contract void if the certification is false.

Campus Customer Guide

Contracts for Professional Services


Business Services obtains insurance coverage for The University of Alabama in Huntsville. Among the policies administered by Business Services are Fire and Extended Coverage for all University-owned buildings and contents, as well as Fleet Insurance. The Fleet policy provides primary physical damage coverage for all University-owned, 7-model year-old and newer vehicles. Coverage is also provided for all “hired” vehicles, which includes those rented by University employees for use in University business. Property damage coverage carries a $1,500 deductible. However, when driving a personal vehicle on University business, the driver’s insurance would be considered primary and the University’s fleet coverage secondary.

For insurance questions, call 256.824.6485

Fleet Services: University employees may use University-owned vehicles for local and out-of-town travel when on official business. These vehicles are available through Fleet Services, administered by Facilities & Operations, according to established institutional policies. For more information, go to Fleet Services, or call 256.824.6482.