Student records security is an important responsibility of each of us on campus. Every person who has access to student records is responsible under Federal Law and University policy to safeguard these materials and to protect the confidentiality of these records. This responsibility involves any materials that contain personally identifiable information covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), electronic, printed, or handwritten materials. At the same time, there are occasions where University personnel receive requests for information that we are required to provide. This memorandum outlines procedures for responding to requests for student information.

Directory Information

Directory information is information contained in an education record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. UAH will provide "directory information" on students to any individual or organization that formally requests such information. If students request privacy, then directory information cannot be disclosed to anyone.

Disclosure with for Legitimate Education Interest or "Need to Know"

Many Individuals at the University are considered to have a legitimate education interest in a student's record, also referred to as a "need to know," and are able to review more detailed student information beyond directory information. This "need to know" only applies to the individual with the legitimate education interest residing solely with that individual and does not constitute authorization for that person to transmit, share, or disclose any of that information to third parties.

Requirement to Disclose

UAH as an institution is required to give certain information to government agencies as defined by the applicable regulations. All requests for such information must be in writing on official letterhead. The office of the Registrar is the official point of contact for such requests and is the only entity allowed to disclose student records to government agencies. If you receive a student records request, please either send the request to the Registrar or refer the agency or individual requesting that information to the Office of the Registrar.

Please contact Janet Waller, University Registrar, at

To submit an announcement, contact
More info