If you have a scholarship that helps you cover your expenses at UAH, please check with the Office of Financial Aid to determine if these scholarship funds are transferable to a study abroad program. Please note that UAH merit tuition scholarships are only applicable if tuition is paid at UAH (such as for a UAH faculty-led program or for a student exchange study abroad program).  

In addition, many study abroad program providers have scholarships. Please consult with them to determine if such opportunities are available and, if so, how to apply for them.

If you have a Pell Grant, you are eligible to apply for funding from the Gilman Foundation. The Gilman Foundation provides scholarships for summer and semester programs and has differing application deadlines depending on when you want to study abroad. For more information, visit the Gilman Foundation website.

The Critical Languages Scholarship Program and the Boren Foundation provide scholarships for immersive study of critical languages. The Critical Languages Scholarship Program offers fellowships for summer study (usually ten weeks) that cover travel, room and board, and instruction costs. The Boren Foundation provides fellowships for semester and academic-year study abroad.

If you have demonstrated academic excellence and are interested in teaching English or researching abroad after you graduate or during your graduate school, the Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers opportunities in over 140 countries.

Because these programs are competitive, it is never too early to begin thinking about your plans and how you can best prepare your applications.

For information on any of these programs, please contact Jennifer Staton (email: jennifer.staton@uah.edu