The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) takes the health and safety of students participating in abroad programs very seriously. We are constantly reviewing our policies and procedures for emergency situations.

Health Insurance

The University of Alabama system has contracted with CISI to provide travel health insurance to all students in the UA system. The fees for this insurance are reasonable and are part of each student's program fees for the study abroad program. For more information on the CISI health insurance policy, please click here for the policy brochure. 

Emergency Contact Information

To reach a student while he or she is abroad, use the contact information given to you by the student or use the contact information listed below. The University cannot list individual homestay contact information for students on this website, but can provide this information if requested.

To reach someone at UAH in an emergency, please call one of the following numbers. If your emergency is time sensitive, begin calling people in the order listed below during normal work hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F). Outside of normal work hours, please consult the emergency contact information given to you by the student or by calling the University Police. If contacting staff outside of the Global Studies Program or the Office of International Services, be sure to mention that you are calling about an emergency affecting a student participating in a study abroad program.

Nicole R. Hughes

Director of Study Abroad



Dean of Students 256.824.6700


Kristi Motter

Vice President for Student Affairs 256.824.4158


UAH Police Department


If the student is on a non-UAH study abroad program, please also refer to the emergency contact information provided by that program.

Please use the following contacts only in an extreme emergency:

U.S. Department of State Overseas Citizens Services: In an emergency, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or call 888.407.4747 (from U.S. and Canada) or +1 202.501.4444 (from Overseas). The Department of State will relay any message to the Embassy in the country in which program participants are traveling. Embassy personnel will try to locate your student, pass on urgent messages, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back.
Contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate nearest to your student's study abroad location. Contact information for Embassies and Consulates is listed on each program's web page.

Note: Students may not be reachable during the daytime and that there may be a time difference. Check local time in a study abroad location. Be prepared to leave a message at the hotel, with the host family, with the language institute, or even at the U.S. Consulate.

Additional Safety Resources