I am a nonnative speaker of English, but I am a naturalized citizen (or permanent resident) of the U.S. Do I have to take the ELPT or ILC classes?

Yes, unless you qualify for an exemption on the basis of other factors (see below). Citizenship and residency are not relevant in determining who is eligible for the ELPT and/or ILC classes.

I have been placed in an ILC course. How much will it cost?

The cost of ILC courses is a flat rate of $910 per 4-hour class. The cost does not vary across student status or residency.  

I have taken English language courses (Intensive English and/or English as a Second Language) at another institution in the U.S. Do I have to take the ELPT or ILC classes?

Yes. Even if you have taken courses in an English as a Second Language program at another university, you will need to take the ELPT. English language requirements vary among institutions in the U.S. Therefore, to ensure that your language skills are sufficiently high to provide you optimum access to your educational experience at UAH, the university requires that all non-native speakers of English take the placement test. Of course, you may or may not have to take ILC classes. That decision will be made based on the results of your ELPT.

How can I waive the ELPT and/or ILC courses?

You may be waived from ILC classes if you:

  1. graduated from a U.S. high school with at least two years of education in the U.S.
  2. graduated from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. with a bachelor's or master's degree
  3. have TOEFL (iBT): all sub-scores equal to or greater than 18 OR IELTS: all sub-scores equal to or greater than 6.0

If you have additional questions regarding exemption from the ELPT and ILC classes, please email the director of ILC at ilc@uah.edu.

I have completed the equivalent of the freshman composition classes at another institution (EH101 and EH102). Do I have to take the ELPT or ILC classes?

You may be required to take the oral/aural classes (ILC 050-01 and ILC 050-02). Unless you have met the waiver requirements for those classes (via IELTS or TOEFL), you will need to do the listening and interview portions of the ELPT.

I have a degree from a U.S. college or university. Do I have to take the ELPT or ILC classes?

If your degree is from an accredited four-year institution in the U.S., you are not required to take the ELPT or ILC classes. However, confirm your status with Enrollment Services (if you are an undergraduate student) or with the Graduate School (if you are a graduate student).

I am an undergraduate student. Do I have to complete all of my ILC courses before registering for the Freshman Composition sequence?

If you are placed in ILC 050-03 (Reading) or ILC 050-04 (Writing), you must complete those classes before registering for Freshman Composition (EH 101S or EH 101). Note that most students who are initially placed in ILC classes are placed in EH 101S, instead of EH 101.

Who should I contact if I have other questions about ILC at UAH?

If you have questions about ILC at UAH, please contact the director of ILC at ilc@uah.edu.