Food Assistance Programs

  • The Food Bank of North Alabama (phone: 256-539-2256) based in Huntsville, Alabama, works to end hunger by offering hunger relief programs that immediately feed people in need. Partnered with dietitians and grocers like Kroger to offer special meals and menus to help families learn how to prevent or alleviate diet-related diseases. Provide weekend meal kits to students who depend upon school meals that may go without when school is closed.
  • Manna House (Email:, Phone: 256.503.4848) provides food assistance to those in need and supported by contributions from individuals, churches, civic groups, and businesses. Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday: 4pm-7pm (Closed only for major holidays or severe weather) A daily provision of food for individuals, families, and the homeless in our community. Primary foods available include canned goods, bread, breakfast items, and desserts. Physical Location: 2110 S Memorial Pkwy, Huntsville, AL 35801
  • FOOD Line (phone: (256) 534-2424) is a toll free line that can direct people to local food pantries and distribution centers, as well as other programs.
  • UAH SGA Food Pantry is a needs based food pantry for STUDENTS ONLY Contact Nikki Goode or call 256-824-6375

Local and Federal Government Assistance Programs

  • COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance: Huntsville received more than $6 million to distribute to those who qualify. Funds will be used to offer direct financial assistance on behalf of the tenant to landlords and utility companies to cover past-due payments of rent and utility/home energy costs. The goal is to prevent housing instability, potential eviction, and offer financial relief to qualifying tenants and landlords. Applications can be submitted by a tenant or a landlord, but the same documentation proving COVID-19-related hardship suffered by the tenant will be required. Any unpaid rent or utility bills you apply for cannot precede March 13, 2020. Contact or if you have any questions
  • The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Contact the Madison County Alabama Department of Human Resources at (256) 427-6000. The hotline number is (256) 427-6097 or (800) 382-4099. Formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, provides food benefits, access to a healthy diet, and education on food preparation and nutrition to low-income households. Recipients spend their benefits (provided on an electronic card that is used like an ATM card) to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores. To apply for food assistance benefits online, you can apply via MyDHR.
  • Medicaid provides free or low-cost health coverage to some low-income people, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities. Apply for Medicaid through the state of Alabama.
    • ALL Kids CHIP (phone: 1-888-373-KIDS (5437) program is a low-cost, comprehensive healthcare coverage program for children under age 19. Provides low-cost healthcare coverage for children under age 19 who don't qualify for Medicaid. Benefits include regular checkups and immunizations, sick child doctor visits, prescriptions, vision and dental care, hospitalization, mental health and substance abuse services, and much more. ALL Kids is administered by the Alabama Department of Public Health. Apply for ALL Kids online.
  • Medicare Assists people who are 65 or older, Certain younger people with disabilities, and People with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD) Sign up for Medicare through Social Security.
    • Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care, and some home health care.
    • Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers certain doctors' services, outpatient care, medical supplies, and preventive services.
    • Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage)
    • Medicare Advantage (also known as Part C) is an “all in one” alternative to Original Medicare. These “bundled” plans include Part A, Part B, and usually Part D.
    • The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) (phone: 334-206-5673 or Toll Free: 1-888-942-4673) provides federal grants to states for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk. If you think you may qualify, please call your local county health department (Madison) to make an appointment.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) (General Information phone: (334) 242-1310) designed to provide benefits and services to needy families with children so that children may be cared for in their own homes or in the homes of relatives. TANF offers temporary cash payments, work and job training services and child care assistance for parents engaged in work and training activities. In order to qualify for this benefit program, the applicant must be either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age. Also the applicant must be a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident; have low or very low income; and be under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed. Apply online through Alabama DHR.
    • The Family Assistance Program Temporary Cash Assistance. Provides temporary cash assistance for basic needs for low income families with children under age 18 or age 19 if s/he is a full time student in a secondary school or in the equivalent level of vocational or technical training. Assistance is issued on Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. Benefits are not to be used to buy liquor, wine, beer, tobacco products or lottery tickets.
    • JOBS Program provides work and training services to all parents receiving cash assistance to help find and retain employment. On-the-job training, Job Search, Job Readiness classes, Vocational education training not to exceed 12 months. These services and supports seek to address barriers such as lack of adequate child care, poor access to transportation, domestic violence and substance abuse, all which greatly limit the ability to obtain and retain employment.
  • Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain post baccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. Grant amounts are dependent on: the student's expected family contribution (EFC); the cost of attendance (as determined by the institution); the student's enrollment status (full-time or part-time); and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less. Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify.

Educational Support

  • The North Alabama Center for Educational Excellence (NACEE) (phone: 256.372.4600) Encourages and assists participants in northern Alabama counties and portions of southern Tennessee who are traditionally under-represented in postsecondary education because of income, family educational background, disability, or other relevant federal, state/provincial, or institutional criteria, in preparing for entry to, and completion of a postsecondary degree. They offer ACT Prep Sessions, FAFSA Support, Tutoring, GED Prep and ACT® WorkKeys® assessments to help measure the workplace skills that can affect job performance. Programs offered: Emerging Scholars Summer Enrichment, Construction Boot Camp (Workforce Development), Upward Bound and Veterans Upward Bound. Check the website for more detail on these programs.

Healthcare Resources

  • Community Free Clinic (phone: (256) 533-2910) provides quality free healthcare, education and medications to thousands of people in Madison County without health care benefits. The goals and objectives of the CFC are to improve the quality of life of those with few health options through medical treatment and health education. The Clinic sees patients who are residents of Madison County who are NOT on Medicaid or Medicare.
  • Central Health Care of Huntsville Alabama (phone: (866) 497-4242) providing access to primary healthcare services for residents of Madison, Limestone, Morgan and contiguous counties in North Alabama and South Tennessee. Provides extensive health care including outpatient medical, ob/gyn, pediatrics, x-ray care, dental care, pharmacy, lab services as well as health and nutrition services to those who need help. Adjustable Payment Plan (APP) has been developed to provide financial assistance for patients who are uninsured, underinsured and/or have been denied health insurance.
  • Community Free Dental Clinic- (Make New Patient Appointments at 256-489-1853) Adult, 19 years or older, Resident of Madison County, serves individuals without dental insurance or have low income. Offers sliding scale payment plans. Open by Appointment Only, No Walk-Ins.
  • QUITNOW Alabama (phone: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669) Provides a free telephone and online tobacco cessation program that includes tobacco cessation coaching, personalized support, and even free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) for eligible participants. Tobacco users enrolling in our coaching program have access to specially trained cessation coaches who will work with you to develop a customized plan for quitting tobacco and provide you with ongoing support along the way. See how much money you save by quitting smoking.
  • Thrive Alabama offers adult primary healthcare and pediatrics at our Huntsville health center. We accept Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare, and private insurance. Eligible patients can receive service at a reduced cost based on a sliding fee scale. We also provide case management, nutrition counseling, interpretation services, and so much more. Thrive Alabama provides compassionate, respectful care to all people including members of the LGBTQ+ community. Additionally, we have special grant-funded programs in our behavioral health department. Visit our website for details.

    Our clinics in Florence and Albertville provide specialized care for people living with HIV plus free HIV and Hep C testing.

    All our clinics offer sexually transmitted infection healthcare and PrEP—a once-a-day pill that can help prevent you from acquiring HIV.

Utility Bill Specific Assistance Programs

  • Huntsville Utilities (phone: 256-535-1200) will work with the account holder in an effort to prevent services from being disconnected. In the event a customer’s account becomes past due, and they are not able to pay the balance in full, an installment plan is available. This payment option allows the customer to make a partial payment towards the unpaid balance and divide the remaining amount into one to four monthly installments. Call Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • Community Action Partnership of Huntsville / Madison & Limestone Counties, Inc. (phone number (256) 851-9800)
    • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - This program provides cash and financial assistance up to twice a year to low to moderate income families. The money will help them pay heating and cooling energy bills, and the goal is to help to prevent energy services from being terminated or disconnected. Assists eligible households with utility deposits and/or utility payments. Funds are paid directly to utility companies and vendors. Assistance may be received up to four times per year based on eligibility requirements.
    • Weatherization Assistance Program - This assistance program will increase the energy efficiency of the clients homes while ensuring their health and safety. It will help reduce energy costs and alleviate the high energy expenses and burden for low-income families that qualify for weatherization.

Financial Counseling Resources

  • Community Action Partnership of Huntsville / Madison & Limestone Counties, Inc. (phone number (256) 851-9800) Rental Housing Counseling, Credit/Budget Counseling, create and use a budget, discuss the different types of mortgages, how much home you can afford, money management, how to read your credit report. Homebuyer/Homeowner Education Seminars, Pre-Purchase Counseling, Default and Foreclosure/Loss Mitigation Counseling, Wise use of credit, understanding the type, sources and cost of credit and loans, keeping good financial records, distinguishing between wants vs. needs and saving for the future. Learn about FHA government mortgage programs, and HUD Housing and Urban Development programs. Learn about ways to improve your credit, reduce debts, eliminate payday loans, and get back on a solid financial footing.

Non-profit Organizations

  • Catholic Center of Concern (phone: 256-536-0041) provides low income, the unemployed, and other qualified individuals with emergency cash grants and financial assistance that can be used for paying rent, mortgage, utility and cooling bills and grants and vouchers or prescription medications.
  • Christmas Charities Year Round (phone: 256-837-2373) offers assistance year round. Households can receive free clothing, household items, food and furniture. In addition, they run a special holiday program that provides toys and food baskets at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The agency can be reached at
  • Salvation Army, Huntsville Alabama Corps (phone: 256-536- 5576) offers assistance with Food, Shelter & Clothing, Medication Payment Assistance, Education & Job Training, Senior Citizen Services, Christmas Assistance, Rent & Utility Payment Assistance, Substance Abuse Rehabilitation and Youth Services
  • Huntsville Assistance Program - HAP - (email: phone: (256) 539-2320.) This organization is a local church cooperative in which each member church combines their resources to provide emergency financial assistance and cash grants to those in need in the Huntsville Alabama area. Qualified individuals may be able to get rent help, money for utility bills, food, and gas cards for emergencies.
  • The Society of St.Vincent de Paul (phone: (256) 539-7476) offers numerous assistance programs and financial aid. Food Pantry, (Available for immediate food needs), Monthly food baskets for the needy, Help finding job openings, resume preparation, aid during Disaster Relief, Assist in obtaining permanent housing, finding contractors for needed repairs, Help with bills – heating, rent, prescriptions, paying off high interest payday loans, Vouchers for furniture and clothing at Thrift Store and Help with transportation for those needing wheels to get to work or need auto repairs (WWW.WHEELS4WORKING.ORG)
  • Churches United For The People, or CUP (Call For Appointment Eligibility: phone: (256) 539-8720) Several local churches combined their resources to provide limited emergency financial assistance to those in need in the Huntsville area. Hours:1:00 pm - 2:00 pm, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This assistance is usually limited to $100.00 for rent or utility assistance. If approved the funds are given directly to the utility company or landlord.
  • Inside-out Ministries (phone: 256-325-5193) is a faith-based church organization All-Volunteer Charitable Service since 2008. Provides financial assistance for paying bills and rent, food, clothing, shelter, and more to those in need. Volunteers of the church organization provide minor home repairs and even services like yard-cutting to seniors in need. Also low cost or free items such as appliances and household goods are also sometimes available to the needy.
  • Care Center Of Southeastern Madison County (phone (256) 723-2273) This is a local Christian oriented, nonprofit charity organization that seeks to reduce poverty in southeastern Madison County Alabama. Food Pantry, Adopt-A-Grandparent, Car Donation Ministry, Financial Assistance, Jobs for Life, The CARE Center Christmas Store, CARE about Community: GED, Career Counseling, Earn While You Learn, The CARE Center Thrift Store, Thrift Store Recycling Program, Zero % Micro Loans. *Serve neighbors living in one of these four zip codes: Owens Cross Roads, New Hope, Gurley, Brownsboro.
  • CASA (Care Assurance System for the Aging and Homebound) of Madison County (phone: 256-533-7775 email: Info@Casamadisoncty.Org a non-profit agency located in Huntsville, Alabama that provides services to individuals age 60 and older and to the homebound (wheelchair and bed bound) of all ages. Provide needed services to aging/homebound individuals that allow them to remain at home and age in place. Our programs are designed to enable the elderly and homebound to maintain their independence, dignity, health and safety by providing services that specifically address their special physical and emotional needs.
  • Heals, Inc. (phone: 256.428.7560 email: The non-profit offers free health care and dental services for those who qualify. Deliver accessible, quality, school-based, primary health care for children through collaborative efforts with the school system and the medical, dental, and optometry communities. Information on education and management of chronic diseases: asthma, diabetes, etc. Nutrition and exercise advice and helping children’s parents obtain insurance coverage for them. Also learn about medical negotiators and how they can help with medical and health care expenses.
  • Still Serving Veterans (phone: (866) 778-4645 or email serve and honor Veterans and their families, transitioning service members, and members of the Guard and Reserves by assisting them in securing meaningful employment and the Veteran benefits they have earned. All services are provided at no charge. Career & Transition Services, Global Employment Services, Educational Workshops, VA Claims, Pensions & Benefits Assistance, Veteran Resource Connection.
  • The Pathfinder, INC (Email and phone: 256-534-7644) is a non-profit, residential rehabilitation program for men who are serious about recovering from their drug and alcohol addictions but need extra support as they rebuild their lives. The average stay is 90 days, dependent upon the time required to complete their goals. Emphasizes the 12-step program and provides clinicians who assist clients in constructing an individual rehabilitation plan and provide professional counseling and guidance on maintaining sobriety. Instruction in implementing relapse prevention strategies, as well as basic independent living skills. As an investment in their own recovery, clients are required to obtain employment and pay a portion of the cost for their housing and services.

Mental Health and Crisis Resources

  • Crisis Services Center of North Alabama (phone: 256-716-1000 or 1-800-691-8426, Nat'l Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255) A crisis can occur in anyone's life. Little problems become big problems. HELPline offers a trained worker and caring crisis counselor who can provide a listening ear and help you see options for change possibilities. A problem is always worse if you're facing it alone. Call if you or someone you know is: experiencing loneliness and depression, in a violent or abusive relationship, experiencing trauma related to sexual assault, facing a life change and needs to talk, having thoughts of discouragement and wanting to give up on life, having thoughts of suicide, or looking for a support group.

Tax Preparation Services for Working Families

  • Impact America/Alabama (phone: 1-844-448-2925) provides free tax preparation services for households earning up to $53,000 with one or more children in the home, or $20,000 without children in the home. Services are provided by IRS-certified Volunteer Tax Preparers from local colleges in the cities where our tax sites are located.