The Global Studies Minor
The Global Studies Program invites students from all majors at UAHuntsville to pursue the interdisciplinary Global Studies Minor. This minor helps students prepare for graduate studies or for work in any international-related career. Key objectives of the minor program for students include:
- Utilize foreign language skills to engage in cross-cultural dialogues and investigate global issues from multiple perspectives.
- Demonstrate historically-informed perspectives on contemporary global affairs.
- Reflect critically on the global contexts of local experiences, including students' personal lives.
- Understand and reflect on the ambiguities, disparities, and the multiplicity of interests inherent in global political, economic, sociological, and cultural issues.
- Learn to envision possible solutions for global conflicts and misunderstandings.
The minor offers two core courses, GS 200, "Global Systems and Cultures" (most recent syllabus) and GS 400, the capstone research seminar for Global Studies.Along with this core coursework in Global Studies, students develop intermediate competency in a foreign language and take elective courses chosen from a variety of disciplines according to a thematic concentration. These concentrations are:
- Global Markets and Politics
- Global Environment, Technology, and Health
- Global Security and Development
- Cultures in Exchange and Contact
- Area Studies (Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, or Asia)
Please click here for more information on these concentrations and the courses available for each. This document will give you more details about the objectives of each concentration and help you determine which concentration best suits your interests and goals.
Please click here for the Global Studies Minor advising worksheet. The Global Studies Program adviser completes this form with you so that you know what classes you need to complete.
If you are interested in the Global Studies Minor and/or have questions, please contact Dr. David Johnson at email@example.com or 824-6288.