Most burglaries and thefts are crimes of opportunity and happen within a very short period of time. Eliminating the opportunity can help reduce your chances of becoming the victim of a property crime.
Here are a few general precautions that can be taken to better protect your personal property:
- Never leave your property unattended.
- Always lock your door and do not give your keys to anyone.
- Close and lock your windows.
- Participate in Operation ID, http://www.uah.edu/police/services/id.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Lock your bicycle.
- Register your bicycle with UAHuntsville Housing Department.
- Do not lend your keys or access cards to anyone.
- Keep your purse or wallet hidden and close to our body.
- If possible use tracking technology for cell phones.
- Call UAHuntsville Police Department, 256-824-6596, if you become the victim of a burglary or theft.