So I've Been Accepted to UAH as a Science Major? Now What?
First, congratulations! Second, relax! We have your back. Just follow these steps and you'll be ahead of the game.
(Photo of a real College of Science group at a New Student Orientation session. Charger Blue's actual size may vary.)
1. Register for Orientation.
Question: How do I register for orientation?
You can register for an orientation session by signing up for one of the dates at uah.edu/orientation. The cost to register is $150 for new freshmen and $50 for new transfer students, and it is charged to your student account.
Question: Which orientation session should I attend?
Attend an orientation session earlier in the summer if possible; the dates can be found at uah.edu/orientation. Classes fill up during the summer, so you'll have more schedule flexibility and choices if you attend a June session than if you attend an August one.
Question: When do I get to register for classes?
On the first day of your orientation session, you'll be given a list of suggested courses to take for the fall semester. On the second day, you'll have one-on-one advising to ask questions followed by a registration session.
Question: Do I register for classes myself?
Yes, registration occurs through the UAH website, but don't panic. You will be advised on how to register beforehand, and we have current students and advisors available to guide you through the process.
Question: What if I am taking AP/IB courses and don't know my test scores during orientation?
If AP/IB scores are not available, you are able to register based on your ACT/SAT scores. When your AP/IB test score become available, you can change your classes based on AP credit on your own at home (www.uah.edu/images/admissions/Admissions/Documents/AP_IB.pdf).
Question: What if I'm not happy with my potential class placement?
You can take a Math, English, or Foreign Language placement exam at no cost. You can take placement exams before, at, or after orientation; but taking them before is preferred. To take a placement exam before orientation, contact one of the following departments: Math (256.824.6470), English (256.824.6320), or Foreign Language (256.824.6645). Let them know that you are an incoming freshman and wish to take the placement exam before your orientation.
Question: Is orientation just about registering for classes?
No! Orientation is about getting you prepared for life at UAH, which is a WHOLE lot more than just what classes you take.
2. Before Orientation
Question: What else do I need to do before orientation?
- Activate your UAH email by going to google.uah.edu and entering your ChargerID and password.
- Review your pre-orientation guide.
- Log into Banner (register.uah.edu)--this requires your ChargerID mailed to you in your acceptance materials. If you have any problems, call or contact the Office of Internet Technology (uah.edu/oit) at 256.824.3333 of by visiting uah.edusupportcenter.com.
- Make sure you've applied for scholarships and financial aid (www.uah.edu/financial-aid).
- Apply for on-campus housing at uah.edu/housing.
- Submit your immunization forms to the Student Health Center(www.uah.edu/health-and-wellness/student-health-center/immunizations). This must be turned in prior to starting classes.
- Review and choose your meal plan option by going to uah.edu/dining.
- Obtain a copy of the test scores (AP/IB) or college transcript (if dual enrollment) and bring with you to orientation. Send your official test scores and/or official college transcript (if dual-enrolled or have/are taking a community college class) to UAH. Send official transcripts to: UAH Office of Admissions, 301 Sparkman Dr., Huntsville, AL 35899. Send official AP/IB test scores to: UAH, Attn: Janet Waller, UC 124, 301 Sparkman Dr., Huntsville, AL 35899. School code is 1854.
3. At Orientation
Question: What will I be doing for 2 days at orientation?
- See the full schedule of activities at uah.edu/orientation.
- Meet advisors and faculty plus register for classes.
- Learn about student activities, housing, and campus life. Remember, orientation is about getting you prepared for life at UAH, which is a WHOLE lot more than just what classes you take.
4. After Orientation
Question: So that's it, right?
- Hold on...you still have some things to do before you arrive:
- Buy your supplies.
- Change your schedule if your AP/IB test scores arrived after orientation and you want to change your classes. Do this as soon as you can.
- Check your UAH email (mail.uah.edu) frequently for important updates and requests for information.
- Buy your parking pass at parking.uah.edu.
- Review your tuition bill & financial aid information on Banner. Tuition can be paid in one of the following ways: online through Banner (register.uah.edu); in Charger Central (UC 118); by check, credit, or debit card, or at the Bursar's office (uah.edu/bursar & UC 213). Tuition is due each semester by the official first day of classes by 5pm.
- Mark your calendar for the College of Science Week of Welcome event (www.uah.edu/student-life/special-events/week-of-welcome/welcome). You'll receive the official invite at orientation; all new freshmen and incoming transfer students are expected to attend. But don't worry: it's fun!
5. First Day of Classes
Question: When does the fun start?
Week of Welcome actually starts August 15 with activities until August 23. See a list of all activities at the WOW website (www.uah.edu/student-life/special-events/week-of-welcome/welcome).
Question: When do classes begin?
August 20! There will be welcome tables outside of the buildings to help get you to where you're going, so make sure to ask questions if you need help. And take full advantage of all the great Week of Welcome events.
Still Have a Question?
Contact Carey Snowden, College of Science Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com.