Office: NB 302
- PhD, Nursing Administration, Georgia Health Sciences University
- MSN, Rural Community Health Clinical Specialist, Georgia Southern University
- BSN, Magna Cum Laude, Armstrong Atlantic State University
- ADN, Cum Laude, Armstrong Atlantic State University
- Board Certified: Nurse Executive, Advanced
- Nursing Administration
- Community/public health nursing
- Health policy and economics
- Nursing theory
- Teach primarily in the RN-BSN program.
- Beta Phi Chapter Sigma Theta Tau Internaional Honor society of Nursing, vice President, 2010-2013
- Faculty Senate 2010-2012
- Faculty Council
- Graduate Council
- RN-BSN Curriculum Subcommittee
- University of Alabama Office of Research, Junior Faculty Distinguished Research Award. 2011-2012: Smokeless tobacco use among rural women. Funded, $9791.00
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Health Behaviors
- Tobacco use
- Rural Health
- Smokeless tobacco use among rural women (2011-2012)
- Obtaining a medical history to include smokeless tobacco (2009)
- Educational needs of Georgia Public Health Nurses Related to Pharmacology. (2007)
- Teens Who Experience More than One Pregnancy. (2003-2004)
- Community Needs Assessment. (2004)
Publications and Presentations
- Talley, B., Gee, R., Allen, D., Marshall, E., Encinas, K., & Lim, S., (2011) Assessment of smokeless tobacco use in the history and physical examination by primary health care providers. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 23(8), 443-447.
- Smith, T.M., Talley, B., Hubbard, M., & Winn, C. (2008). Evaluation of a Tobacco Prevention Program for Children: ToPIC. Journal of Community Health Nursing (4)25, 218-228.
- Jakeway, C. C., Cantrell, E. E., Cason, J. B. & Talley, B. S. (2006, Mar-April) Developing Population Health Competencies among Public Health Nurses in Georgia. Public Health Nursing, 23(2), 161-7.
- Talley, B. (2006) Nurses and nursing education in Ghana: Creating collaborative opportunities. International Nursing Review: Official Journal of the International Council of Nurses 53, 47-51.
- Talley, B., Rushing, A., & Gee, R.M. (2005). Community assessment using Cowling’s Unitary Appreciative Inquiry: A beginning exploration. Visions, Journal of the Society of Rogerian Scholars 13(1). 27-40.
Other Journal Publications
Invited (Editorial Board Reviewed)
- Talley, B. (2004) Communication. Visions 12(1): 60-61.
- Talley, B. (2003). The values of SRS…The Society of Rogerian Scholars. Visions 11(1): 69-71.
- Talley, B. (March 2002). Womanheart. Rogerian Nursing Science News 1(2): 1p
- Talley, B. (March 2002). Windvoices. Rogerian Nursing Science News 1(2): 2 p.
Contributions to Edited Volumes
- Billings, D. M., Dickerson, S. S., Greenburg, M. J., Yow-Wu, B. & Talley, B. S. (scheduled for publication in 2013). Quality monitoring and accreditation in nursing distance education programs. In Frith, K. & Clark, D. (Eds.). Distance Education In Nursing (3rd ed.). New York: Springer Publications.
- Talley B. (2010). Finance and Economics. In Elaine S. Marshall (Ed.). * Transformational Leadership: From Expert Clinician to Influential Leader. NY: Springer Publications. * American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year 2011, Leadership and Management.
- Jakeway, C. & Talley, B. (2006). The History of the Georgia Practice and Education Workgroup. In Carole Jakeway and Elizabeth Cantrell (Eds.) The Georgia Practice and Education Toolkit. Atlanta, GA: Georgia Department of Human Resources Division of Public Health Office of Nursing. 3-7.
- Talley, B., Bush K., & Williams, A. (2006). Best Practices. In Carole Jakeway and Elizabeth Cantrell (Eds.) The Georgia Practice and Education Toolkit. Atlanta, GA: Georgia Department of Human Resources Division of Public Health Office of Nursing. 25-32.
- Talley, B. (2004). A traditional United States healing practice example: Traditional Health beliefs and practices of the Georgia low country. In Roxana Huebscher and Pamela A. Shuler (Eds.). Natural, Alternative, and Complementary Health Care Practices. Philadelphia: Mosby/Harcourt.
The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, Georgia Board of Regents, Leadership Certificate Program Online (Competitive Award, selection by state level reviewing board):
- Talley, B. (2006). Leadership Skill Development for the First-Time Supervisor
- Talley, B. (2006). Management Ethics & Values-Based Decision-Making
Refereed paper presentations
- Talley, B., Gee, R.M., Allen, D., & Marshall, E. (August, 2012) “Smokeless Tobacco Among Rural Women”. Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Brisbane, Australia.
- Talley, B. (June 2009). “Internet Education of Health Care Personnel: Promises and Challenges.” 8th International Conference on Health Economics, Management, and Policy. Athens Institute for Education and Research, University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
- Talley, B. & Allen, D. (March 2008). “Get Real: Creating presence in the On-line Classroom.” Conference of the International Alliance of Teacher Scholars, California State University/Cal Poly Pomona, Pomona, CA.
- Talley, B. (April 2007). “Searching for Questions.” Research Conference Mu Kappa Chapter Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing and the Southern Professional Nurses’ network of the Georgia Nurses Association. Georgia Southern University.
- Talley, B. & Jakeway, C. (November, 2004). “Creating and Sustaining Academic-Practice Partnerships for Public Health Nursing: The Georgia Model.” Conference of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Talley, B. Jones, P., Marks, L. B., Zittrouer, M. L. (June 2004). “Parenthood at a very young age: Exploring the life pattern and finding expression using Cowling’s Unitary Appreciative Inquiry.” Ninth Conference of the Society of Rogerian Scholars, New York University, New York, New York.
- Talley, B. (February 2004). “Creating Collaborative Opportunities: Experiencing Public Health Nursing in Ghana.” Southern Regional Transcultural Nursing Conference, Savannah, Georgia.
- Talley, B. & Brown, C. F. (November 2003). “Finding Mantras in our own Traditions”. International Conference of the Society of Rogerian Scholars. Savannah, Georgia.
- Talley, B., Brannen, P., and Hurley, V. (September 2003). “Practice based research: A cooperative effort of practice and education”. Georgia Public Health Association’s 74th Annual Meeting and Conference, Augusta, Georgia.
- Talley, B., Brannen, P., Hurley, V. (March 2003). “Collaboration between public health practice and education”. Georgia Public Health Leadership Summit, Calloway Gardens, Georgia.
- Rushing, A., Talley, B., Anumolu, A., Poopola, M. M., & Brown, C. F., (June 2001). “Evolution of Energetic Healing: Contributions of Multiple Traditions”. Conference of The American Holistic Nurses Association, Society of Rogerian Scholars, and Space Nurses Society. (A joint celebration of the life and work of Martha E. Rogers). Huntsville, Alabama.
- Talley, B. (June 2000). “Power, Participation in Decision-making and Organizational Commitment among Rural Nurses”. International Conference of the Society of Rogerian Scholars, New York University, New York City, New York.
Refereed Poster Presentations
- Talley, B., Gee, R.M., Allen, D., & Marshall, E. “Smokeless Tobacco Among Rural Women”. Mu Kappa chapter Research Day, Sigma Theta Tau, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia.
- Talley, B., Jakeway, C., McCloud, M. Y. (June 5-7, 2008). “Preparing State Level Public Health Nurse Consultants for their New Role in Population Health.” Annual Institute of the Association of Community Health Nurse Educators, Atlanta, Ga.
- Talley, B., Tabi, M., Rushing, K., Brannen, P. & Hurley, V. (November 2004). “Early motherhood: Having two or more children while still a teen.” Conference of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Talley, B. (June 2000). “Excellence and Success In Small Rural Hospitals: the Interrelationships of Power, Participation in Decision-making, and Organizational Commitment in Rural Nurses.” 2000 Regional Research Conference, Emory University Conference Center, Atlanta, Georgia Sponsored by Emory University, The Medical College of Georgia, Georgia State University, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the SREB Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing.
- Talley, B. (February 2000). “Georgia Learning Alliance for Nursing”. Transcultural Nursing Society’s Regional Conference, Savannah, Georgia. Co-sponsored by: Georgia Southern University School of Nursing, Medical College of Georgia School of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University College of Nursing, and University of Tennessee at Knoxville College of Nursing.
- Talley, B. (February 2008). “The Care and Feeding of Faculty who Teach On-Line.” Invited Speaker at the Conference of the Georgia Association of Nurse Educators, Calloway Gardens, Georgia.
- Talley, B. (December 2007). “History of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing and a look at Vision 20/20”. Induction Ceremony, Mu Kappa chapter Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Statesboro, Georgia.
- Talley, B. (May 2006). “Development of a Model for the Clinical Nurse Consultant.” Speaker for Nurse’s Week Celebration, Department of Human Resources, Division of Public Health, Office of Nursing, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Talley, B. (May 2005). “The Role of the Clinical Nurse Consultant.” Speaker for Nurses’ Week Celebration, Department of Human Resources, Division of Public Health, Office of Nursing, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Talley B. (February 2002) “Traditional Health Beliefs and Practices of the Georgia Lowcountry”, within a collective presentation: Rushing, A. M., Talley, B., Anumolu, A., Poopola, M. M., & Brown, C. F., “Evolution of Energetic Healing: Contributions of Multiple Traditions”. Regional Conference of Transcultural Nursing Society, Savannah, Georgia.