Susan Alexander, DNP, BC-ADM, BC-ANP, CNS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Office: NB 326
- DNP, University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Post-Master's Adult Nurse Practitioner Certificate, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- MSN, Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist University of Alabama in Huntsville
- BSN, University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Advanced Diabetes Management – Board Certified
- Adult Health Nurse Practitioner
- Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Adult Health
- NUR 610 - Primary Care of Adults
- NUR 307/419 - Scholarly Inquiry for Nursing
- NUR 606 - Advanced PathophysiologyExperiential Clinical
- NUR 605 – Advanced Pharmacology
- NUR 407 - Professional Practice in Nursing II
- NUR 500 -Special Topics: Issues in Metabolic Diseases
- North Alabama Nurse Practitioner Association, member
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, member
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning & Online Teaching, Peer Reviewer
- Editorial Board: Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- Adult/ Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Content Expert Registry, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Peer reviewer for MORE (McMaster Online Rating of Evidence) EBN (Evidence-Based Nursing) project
- Technology applications for nurses and students
- Distance education methods and outcomes
Publications and Presentations
Books and Book Chapters
- Alexander, S. & Hoy, H. Supporting learner success: Pre-Enrollment through outcomes evaluation. In Distance education in Learning (3rd ed)., Frith, K.H., & Clark, D. (Eds). New York: Springer Publications. Expected publication date 2013.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Hoy, H., Alexander, S., & Frith, K.H. (2011). Effect of transplant education on nurses' attitudes toward organ donation and plans to work with transplant patients. Progress in Transplantation, 21(4).
- Hoy, H. Alexander, S., Roberts, L.J., Wells, N., Pinson, C.W., & Feurer, I.D. The Negative effect of pre-transplant body mass index on health-related quality of life after lung transplantation. Accepted for publication March 12, 2012,in Progress in Transplantation.
- Hoy, H., Alexander, S., Payne, J., & Zavala, E. (2011). The role of advanced practice nurses in transplant center staffing. Progress in Transplantation, 21(4): 294-298.
- Alexander, S., Frith, K.H., O'Keefe, L., & Hennigan, M.A. (2011). Implementation of customized health information technology in diabetes self management training programs. Clinical Nurse Specialist: The Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice, (25)2: 63-70.
- January 13, 2012 Making Technology Work for You. Annual Symposium North American Transplant Coordinators Organization, Miami, Florida.
- December 2, 2011 Development of a Web-Based Mobile Application for use in Organ Transplantation . 7th Annual International Medical Automation Conference. The Automated Health System, Dulles, Virginia
- November 16, 2011 Web-Based Mobile Application in Organ Transplantation. Sigma Theta Tau International Beta Phi Chapter Annual Research Day,UAHuntsville College of Nursing, Huntsville, Alabama
- November 15, 2011 Diabetes Update. American Association of Critical Care Nurses Huntsville Chapter, Crestwood Medical Center,Huntsville, Alabama
- May 11, 2011 Use of Mobile Technology Applications in Caring for the Patient with Diabetes. University of Alabama System Scholars Institute (Innovations Forum),Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- April 16, 2011 Climbing Mountains: DNP Students' Perspectives on the Pursuit of a Terminal Degree. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty 37th Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- October 22, 2009 Applying Health Information Technology Systems in a Diabetes Self-Management Training Program. American Medical Group Association, Diabetes Best Practices Symposium. Detroit, Michigan
- January 15, 2009 The Role of Change Agent in an Organization: Keys to Success. National Association of Transplant Coordinators Annual Conference, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- The Effects of GLP-1 Agonists on C-peptide Levels of Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Summer Research and Creative Experience for the Undergraduate. College of Nursing student Elizabeth Hale. Alexander, S., Hale, E., Hennigan, M.A., & Frith, K. H. June, 2011-September, 2011. $3,000 (funded).
- Development of a Web-Based Mobile Technology Application for Healthcare Providers in Transplant Care. UAHuntsville Research Infrastrucure Investment Grant Program. Hoy, H. (Principal Investigator), Alexander, S., Maskey, M., & Conover, H. May, 2011-April, 2012. $74,910 (funded)
- The Effect of Transplant Education on Nurses' Attitudes towards Organ Donation and Plans to Work with Transplant Patients. Junior Distinguished Faculty Research. Hoy, H. (Principal Investigator), Alexander, S. (Co-Investigator), Frith, K. (Mentor). December , 2010-December, 2011. $10,138 (funded).
- Hits: 1009