The following steps outline the procedure for applying to the ILC, getting the necessary visas, traveling to the U.S. and arriving in Huntsville.
1. Submit application with requisite supporting documentation, including TOEFL or IELTS scores (see below), an original copy of transcripts with accompanying translation into English, an affidavit of financial support, and a $40 U.S. nonrefundable application fee.
- Paper-based TOEFL (typical range is between 425 - 500)
- Computer-based TOEFL (typical range is between 140 - 180)
- Internet-based TOEFL (typical range is between 35 - 62)
- IELTS (typical range is between 3.0 - 5.5)
2. If you are living outside the U.S., visit http://educationusa.state.gov/ to review information regarding study in the U.S., including the visa process.
3. Receive letter of acceptance to the ILC at UAH and accompanying I-20 form.
4. Email the director of ILC to confirm your intention to attend the ILC (email@example.com).
5. Make an appointment at the nearest U.S. consulate/embassy to apply for your F-1 student visa (http://usembassy.state.gov/).
6. Take your documents to your appointment (http://travel.state.gov/visa/index.html), including:
- visa application forms from the Embassy/Consulate
- visa application fee – amount varies per country
- receipt for SEVIS I-901 fee payment (http://www.FMJfee.com)
- I-20 from UAH
- letter of admission from UAH
- valid passport
- copy of TOEFL Score (non-native English speakers) (www.toefl.org)
- proof of finances letter (http://grad.uah.edu/admissionforms/AFFIDAVIT.pdf)
- photographs for visa
- previous school transcripts, diplomas or records
7. Receive your visa and make a reservation to travel to the U.S. Note: Plan to arrive at least two days before your scheduled ELPT.
8. Contact UAH Housing and submit an application for accommodations for your intended semester(s) (http://housing.uah.edu).
9. Contact UAH Housing to confirm your housing application and accommodations.
10. Contact the director of ILC if you need transportation from the Huntsville International Airport to your dorm/apartment (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a nominal $15 fee.
11. Arrive in the U.S. Be sure to have your immigration documents with you on the plane and readily available when you arrive at your Port of Entry.
ILC terms run concurrent with regular semesters at the university. The fall and spring semesters are 15-week terms. The summer semester is a ten-week term. For start and end dates, visit UAH Academic Calendar. For F-1 students arriving from overseas, the specific report date (the date after which you can enter the U.S. on the UAH I-20) will be listed on the visa. All other students, including students transferring from other institutions in the U.S. and those already in the Huntsville area, should plan to begin classes on the start date listed for the semester in which they will begin the ILC classes.
Because you will take the English Language Placement Test (ELPT) to assist in your final placement in ILC classes, you should consult the ELPT schedule to plan for arrival. You should arrive at least two days before the ELPT you will be taking. For a list of ELPT dates and registration information, visit the ELPT section of this site.
After you determine your date and time of your arrival, contact the director of ILC at email@example.com. Transportation from the Huntsville International Airport can be provided for a nominal $15 fee. However, to guarantee transportation, you must make arrangements with the program at least two weeks before your scheduled arrival.
Attend the ELPT, Immigration Processing and TB testing as indicated in the Immigration Essentials document attached to your I-20.
All ILC students are required to attend the ILC Orientation at the beginning of their first semester. The ILC Orientations occur during the week immediately prior to start of classes. At the orientation session, you will be given your class schedule and room assignments, meet your instructors, review ILC policies and procedures, receive an overview of program texts and curriculum and be able to ask any questions you have about the program and/or the university as a whole.
Orientation dates will be included in your admission packet. Please review all admission materials carefully.
If you have any questions during your travel to UAH, contact the director of ILC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hits: 1531