Life Event Changes

For all of us, life is a continuing process of change. A major life event or change may affect your benefits at UAH. When one of the events mentioned below occurs in your life, you will need to review and possibly make changes to your current benefit elections.  

Job Change
Dependent Loss
of Eligibility 
Death of
a Dependent
You must notify Human Resources within 31 days of the life event to change your current benefit election(s). If you do not make changes within the required time period, you must wait until the annual open enrollment period. Generally open enrollment is held in mid-October through mid-November and changes made during this time are effective January 1 of the following year. To make changes to your current elections, please review the information below.

 Medical Insurance | Flexible Spending Account | Life Insurance | Tax Withholdings | Employee Assistance Program


Medical Insurance | Flexible Spending Accounts

Insurance coverage may begin on the date the life event change occurred or the first day of the following month. In addition to completing your life event change through HR Connection (BenefitFocus), documentation to determine dependent eligibility is required. Please see the list of life events and the required documentation below.

How to Make A Life Event Change 

HR Connection Online Enrollment Guide  |  HR Connection(BenefitFocus)

Life Event

Documentation Required 


Marriage Certificate


Final divorce decree with the file date and the judge's signature

Birth of Child

Birth Certificate and Social Security Card 


Final adoption papers with the file date and the judge's signature


Death Certificate

Job Change

Employment Status Change Letter or Termination Letter
(This letter must be from your or your spouse’s employer indicating the date of the job change/termination as well as the date when your insurance coverage will end)

Back to top


Life Insurance

Beneficiary Change Forms

Beneficiary changes can be made at any time. Below are links to beneficiary change forms. Please return completed forms to the Human Resources office.

State Teachers' Retirement:  Beneficiary Change Form (Form must be signed before a notary.) 

University Provided Life and AD&D Insurance | Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance: HR Connection

TIAA-CREF:   Online   | VALIC: Online

Back to top

Tax Forms

Changes to your tax withholdings can be made at any time. You may view your current withholding through Banner Self Service or contact Payroll Services. 

Federal Form | State Tax Form

Back to top