The Disability Support Services office provides a broad range of services to make academic life as accessible as possible for students with disabilities. Since the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 guarantee equal access, not success, individual success is up to each student. We encourage students to develop self-advocacy, empowerment, responsibility, independence, personal growth, and develop and use compensatory skills.
Students should request services via the following steps:
- Download the application for DSS services, complete it and bring it with you to your scheduled meeting.
- Collect all relevant documentation (testing, assessment, medical records, and/or letters from physicians) that documents your disability and how it impacts your education. This documentation must be recent, no more than three years old.
- Fill out a Letter of Accommodation Request Form.
- Call Disability Support Services at 256.824.1997 to schedule an appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator to discuss needed accomodations.
- After meeting with the student in person, the Disability Services Coordinator will process the application and send the student a Letter of Accommodation with instructions for communicating accommodation needs with faculty.
- Hits: 4397