Alternative Fifth Year Program

What is the Alternative Fifth Year Program program?

The Alternative Fifth Year Program is a graduate teacher education program available to individuals who have completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Students eligible for this program do not have a Class B (baccalaureate level) teaching certificate. Students should contact the Teacher Certification Officer and the advisor in the chosen teaching field for an individual evaluation concerning undergraduate deficiencies prior to initial registration in this program. The Alabama State Department of Education requires all applicants for the Alternative Fifth Year Program to "an academic major in the teaching field (EHLA) or if an academic major is not on the official transcript, 32 semester hours appropriate to the teaching field including at least 19 semester hours of upper-division credit" (p. 316 AL Code).

What Alternative Fifth Year Programs are offered by UAH?

The programs listed below are offered in the UAH Alternative Fifth Year Program.

Biology (6-12)

Chemistry (6-12)

English Language Arts (6-12)

History (6-12)

Mathematics (6-12)

Physics (6-12)

How long will it take me to complete the Alternative Fifth Year Program?

  1. All Alternative Fifth Year Programs require 54 hours of graduate coursework and one additional course at the undergraduate level.
  2. Some Alternative programs may require additional undergraduate prerequisite coursework in your teaching field, which must be completed prior to beginning the Alternative Fifth Year Program. The amount of undergraduate coursework required depends on what you choose to major in and what coursework you have earned on your previous degree(s). Your transcripts will be analyzed by an advisor in your chosen teaching field.
  3. In summary, an Alternative Fifth Year Program will require a MINIMUM of 55 hours.

How do I know if I am eligible for the Alternative Fifth Year Program?

  • Candidates must have earned a bachelor's or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Candidates must have earned a 2.5 or higher GPA on the earned degree as shown on the applicant's transcript.
  • Candidates who hold a degree with less than the required 2.5 GPA will not be allowed to take coursework to improve that GPA. The Alabama State Department of Education will only accept the GPA that was used as the basis for granting the earned degree.

How do I enroll in the program?

  1. Apply for admission to the UAH graduate program. Be sure to indicate that you want to apply for the Alternative Fifth Year Program. Send official transcripts from all degree granting institutions you have attended to the UAH Graduate Admissions Office
  2. Earn a passing score on an approved entrance exam: MAT (Miller Analogy Test) for English Language Arts or GRE (Graduate Record Examination) for all other areas of study.
  3. Once you have been formally accepted to UAH you should meet with an advisor in your teachingYour advisor will complete a program of study and inform you of any prerequisites that may be required. You must complete all undergraduate prerequisites prior to beginning any courses in the teacher education program.
  4. Meet with the graduate advisor in Education to discuss the professional education requirements.
  5. Complete fingerprint and background check.
  6. You are now ready to begin educationContinue to meet with your teaching field and education advisors.

How will I be unconditionally admitted to the Teacher Education Program?

Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the Teacher Education Program. Students must have an Application for Admission to the Teacher Education Program on file with the Certification Officer and must verify that an approved Program of Study (POS) is on file in the UAH College of Education before or during the first semester of education courses. In addition, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Successful completion of ED 301
  2. Minimum 3.0 GPA in first semester of graduate education and teaching field courses with no grade lower than "C."
  3. Satisfactory completion of specified writing and field assignments in all education courses.
  4. Satisfactory ratings on Interview Process, Dispositions Ratings and Application Essay.
  5. Satisfactory External Faculty Letter of Recommendation

What must I do to continue in the program?

  1. Minimum 3.0 GPA in Education and teaching field courses with no grade lower than "C."
  2. Satisfactory completion of minimum of 210 hours of Field Experiences in diverse schools.
  3. Satisfactory ratings on Dispositions Ratings by education faculty, and field experience cooperating teachers.
  4. Passing Score on the Alabama Prospective Teacher Test (APTT) and Praxis II.
  5. Passing score on written comprehensive exam in education and your teaching field.
  6. Satisfactory presentation of Exit Portfolio.
  7. If the above requirements are not met, a Personalized Professional Development Plan will be developed; failure to met criteria in the PDP may result in dismissal from Teacher Education Program.

How do I apply for certification once I have completed the program?

  1. Meet with Teacher Certification Officer to complete appropriate paperwork and submit cashiers check or money order required for processing application.
  2. Provide official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework. These will be sent to the Alabama State Department of Education along with your application for a teaching certificate.
  3. Once you have submitted all necessary paperwork/fees/etc. the Certification Officer will send all application materials directly to the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) for review.
  4. At that time the Certification Officer will send you a letter documenting the submission. This ends the responsibility of the Office of Teacher Certification.
  5. Upon review of your application materials, the ALSDE will mail your Class A professional educator certificate directly to you at the address listed on your application for certification.


Alternative Master's Degree Teacher Candidates Handbook

If you have additional questions or need advisement about the Alternative A program, please contact:

Dr. Beth N. Quick