Travel Safety

For all cleared individuals:

When planning a trip abroad you will need to read the Foreign Travel Related Vulnerability Pamphlet. After you have read the pamphlet, please complete the Notification of Foreign Travel form. This form, along with your itinerary, needs to be forwarded to our office.

The Notification of Foreign Travel form as well as the itinerary can be submitted by campus mail, e-mail, or in person with a scheduled appointment. When you return to the United States you are required to complete the Notification of Foreign Travel Debriefing form, which needs to be submitted to our office. This process is required for each trip.

For current travel information you can go to the State Department's Travel Safety Tips or the other two links below "Transportation Security Administration (TSA)" and the "Risk During Travel.

Transportation Security Administration: TSA - Travelers Guide



Travel outside the U.S. be it for business or personal pleasure, can present export control issues for UAHuntsville employees, faculty, and staff. There are government regulations that affect:

  • Taking items with you on a trip in support of your work or conference such as
  • Laptops (personal or UAH property)
  • Encryption products
  • Data/technology
  • Blueprints, drawings, schematics
  • Supplying certain technologies/data at a "closed" conference or meeting (not open to all technically qualified members of the public, and attendees are not permitted to take notes)
  • Travel to sanctioned/embargoed countries
  • Doing business with certain people or entities

What this means is that a license could be required from the Departments of Commerce, State, or Treasury, depending on what you are taking and the country you are traveling to. Another aspect to consider is that a license could also be required if you are providing a defense service* to a foreign person. Direct access to ECCNs and other export-related information made available by manufacturers.

Fortunately, travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem. In some cases, an exception or exemption to the license requirements is available. Please review the Laptop and GPS Decision Tree to see if you meet the requirements for the Exception to a License.

UAHuntsville or Owned by Individuals or Entities