Does UAH offer any other ROTC programs besides Army ROTC?

No. Army ROTC at UAH is supported through an agreement with Alabama A&M University. UAH participation in the University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) Air Force ROTC program ended several years ago (a few documents indicating this option may still turn up depending on search criteria used). The closest host for an Air Force ROTC program is offered at Samford University in Birmingham.

What are the eligibility requirements for participation in Army ROTC?

Students must be a US citizen, between the ages of 17 and 32, meet Department of Defense Medical Standards, meet US Army Physical Fitness Standards, Height for Weight and/or Body Fat Composition Standards, and Appearance Standards (tattoos/brands, grooming, and body jewelry); be enrolled as full-time students in an accredited degree-producing program in any of the schools supported by the visiting student agreement; have a minimum CGPA of 2.0 (this requirement is subject to change based on Army requirements); and be able to pass a criminal background check.

If I register for Military Science classes will the Army pay my tuition?

No. Students enrolled in Military Science classes must pay their own tuition and fees for either a two credit (Basic Course) or three credit (Advance Course) class. Students awarded an Army scholarship, either at the national level during their senior year in high school or locally through US Army Cadet Command, may elect to have the Army pay either (not both) tuition/fees or room and board.

Do I have to enlist in the US Army to enroll in Army ROTC?

No. In fact, during the first two years of the Army ROTC program, known as the Basic Course, non-scholarship students incur no obligations to the Army but may be considered for a local (campus) scholarship by the Professor of Military Science (PMS) at Alabama A&M University. In the event a student is awarded an Army ROTC scholarship, then there is a service obligation of two years for every year (or partial year) the student receives scholarship benefits from the Army.

Are international students allowed to participate in Army ROTC?

Participation is limited to special circumstances. In general, if an international student is interested in enrolling in the class for academic credit only, the student must have a valid Form I-94 and written permission from his/her nation of citizenship to participate in US military training.

I participated in Army Junior ROTC (JROTC) while in high school – is it possible to get credit for Military Science courses?

Yes. If you participated in Army JROTC for all four years, you may (at the PMS’ discretion) be able to enroll directly into the Advance Course portion of the Senior ROTC program (normally taken during the last two years of your degree program). If you spent less time in JROTC, you may still qualify for credit for some portion of the Basic Course at the discretion of the PMS.

How much of my time does the ROTC program require?

There are three levels of involvement in the ROTC program. The lowest – participating – is limited to the amount of class or contact time for any other course of comparable credit hours (100 minutes each week for the basic course). Normally students that do not meet program enrollment criteria on either a temporary or permanent basis are classified as participating students. The next level – enrolled –are expected to participate in the 2 hour leadership lab each week, morning physical conditioning training at least 3 days each week, and training exercises at least once each semester. The highest involvement level is contracted – these are students that have signed a contract with the Army for a commission as a second lieutenant in exchange for successful completion of all required training and their degree program. Contracted students should expect to spend approximately 8 hours each week in activities supporting ROTC; enrolled students should expect to spend between 4-8 hours each week; and participating students should expect to spend 2-6 hours each week.

Is it possible to earn a commission through Army ROTC?

Yes, but only under certain conditions. In general, honorably discharged service members with an authorized re-entry code (found on the service member’s copy of your DD Form 214) may enroll and contract for a commission through ROTC provided they have not completed 10 or more years of active federal service and meet all other eligibility requirements.

What are common medical conditions that would disqualify me from enrollment in the ROTC program?

Army Medical Entry Standards are listed in Army Regulation 40-501 (AR 40-501). This regulation specifies medical conditions that meet or fail to meet induction standards and explains which conditions may be waived and the waiver authority. Common conditions/ailments that do not meet entry standards are a diagnosed history of Asthma, diagnosed history of ADD/ADHD, diagnosed history of depression, and diagnosed history of heart ailments.

Are there any legal/family circumstances that would prevent me from being enrolled in the ROTC program?

Yes. Legal circumstances that would preclude enrollment include any indictment or conviction that would indicate poor judgment or lack of character (such as drug possession, crimes of violence, or driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs) regardless of whether or not you were convicted or age at the time of the offense. Family circumstances include a parent with sole custody of a minor child or someone with more than 3 dependents.

Can tattoos/brands prevent me from being eligible to become enrolled or contract in ROTC?

Yes. Tattoos/brands anywhere on the head, face, neck, ears, or below the wrist bone are prohibited. More than 4 visible tattoos (or groups of small tattoos 1” or less apart) larger than the wearer’s hand are prohibited. Offensive or obscene tattoos anywhere on the body are prohibited.

What are the physical fitness requirements for enrollment in ROTC?

Students must score 60 points per event in the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) which consists of 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2 mile run. For individuals in the 17-21 age group, males must complete 42 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and complete the 2 mile run in 15:54 minutes; females must complete 19 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and complete the 2 mile run in 18:54 minutes.

What are the minimum standards to be eligible to contract?

US Army Cadet Command determines the minimum standards based on its recruiting mission and are subject to periodic review. As of 1 OCT 2014, in order to contract students must have a CGPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) and score a minimum of 230 points on the APFT, with a minimum of 70 points in each event and be academically aligned. In order to qualify for a scholarship, students must have a CGPA of 2.7 and score a minimum of 250 points on the APFT, with a minimum of 70 points in each event and be academically aligned.

What is the screening table weight/body composition standard?

The screening table weight is a component of the Army’s Weight Control Program (Army Regulation 600-9). It is a table of maximum allowable weight for a given height for a specific age group. Students that don’t meet the screening table weight may still meet standards based on Body Composition as determined by body fat percentage. Allowable body fat is based on age group. Students that exceed screening table weight and allowable body fat limits may not contract.

Is it possible to contract through Army ROTC to earn a commission in another service?

No. However, the Army will consider allowing students currently enrolled in other service pre-commissioning programs to transfer into Army ROTC prior to their senior year.

I am a graduate student – can I enroll in ROTC to earn a commission?

Yes, provided you meet certain conditions. In order to contract for a commission, you must be a full-time student, have a minimum of two years remaining in your post-graduate program and you must complete the Advance Course of Army Senior ROTC and the US Military History portion of the Army’s Professional Military Education (PME) requirement prior to graduation. To enter the Advance Course, you must complete Initial Entry Training (IET) in a branch of the US Armed Forces (active or reserve) or complete Cadet Initial Entry Training (CIET).

I am a part-time student – can I participate in the Army ROTC program?

No. However, graduate students may request a waiver to the “enrolled in and attending full-time” requirement.

Disclaimer: The questions and answers provided are based on guidance from USACC and are subject to change; while the cadre make every effort to review this information, the answers provided are for general information only and are not binding on the university, its ROTC department, or USACC personnel. If you have specific questions regarding eligibility, contractual obligations, or benefits, please contact the ROTC department.