Apply for Exchange Student Partnership

If you are a currently enrolled student at an approved Exchange Student Partnership Institution in another country, you may be eligible to apply and attend The University of Alabama in Huntsville as a visiting exchange student on a J1 Visa.

All interested student must first contact Dr. Yeqing Bao at to receive permission and to also be provided the application link.

What do I do when approved to apply?

Using the link emailed to you, please apply and include the following information:

  1. A completed application
  2. Unofficial transcript(s) with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 overall.
  3. If English is not your native language, a student must submit electronic test results from the testing company that meet the following:
    • TOEFL: all sub-scores greater than or equal to 18, OR
    • IELTS: all sub-scores greater than or equal to 6.0
  4. Photocopy of the passport photo page (and alien residence card if applicable)

Priority Admittance Deadlines for International Students

Applications can be accepted after these dates, but admission decisions will not be guaranteed.

Summer: February 1
Fall: June 1
Spring: October 1




  • Approved exchange student partnership institutions have a reciprocity program in place to accept a UAH student in exchange for a student from their institution
  • Eligible students will pay tuition at their home university
  • Students who enroll as a non-degree exchange student are not eligible for financial aid
  • Individuals with an F-1 or F-2 Academic Student Visa, or a B Visitor's Visa are not eligible to apply to a non-degree program per federal regulations


Dr. Yeqing Bao

What’s Next?

Students who are accepted as an exchange student often have questions regarding their next steps. Please review these frequently asked questions to start you on the right path.


You are encouraged to apply for on campus housing as soon as you are accepted due to limited space. Students may also choose to live off campus in apartments within walking distance of the university. A helpful link is the website. Be sure to enter The University of Alabama in Huntsville in the search bar. Please note, UAH is not affiliated with any apartment community and many require a lease. Often the best approach is to contact your institution and ask if they can help you contact a current student from your university that is in the exchange program at UAH so they may help with your housing needs.


UAH is located in a thriving city, but the city’s transportation system is not as extensive as you may have come to enjoy in your home country. Many students are able to commute to school on foot or bicycle. Bus service is available but limited. Taxis, Uber, and Lyft are also available if you would like a private car.


When you are accepted, the next step is to enroll you in classes. To assist you, please contact your department as listed on your admission letter to help get you enrolled. Undergraduate students are required to be enrolled in 12 credit hours and graduate students must be enrolled in 9 credit hours.


All incoming international students are required to attend our international check in and orientation. The date is typically a few days before classes begin. An email will be sent by our international services office when a date is available.

Visa Issues

For assistance on visa issues, please contact the Office of International Services at