What are placement tests?
All students who are beginning college-level course work in English, Mathematics, and Chemistry are placed at the level best suited to their academic preparation and background. Placement tests help to determine students' preparedness within these areas. Placements are determined by the respective academic departments based on the student's score(s).
What determines my placement before taking a Placement Test?
Placements are determined by a combination of factors depending on the subject.
- ACT or SAT scores and high school grades determine placement in English Composition.
- ACT or SAT scores and AP Calculus exam scores determine placement in Mathematics.
- Placement into Chemistry 121 is based on Mathematics placement, Chemistry Placement Test (score of 40 or higher) or successful completion of CH 101 or its equivalent.
How do I know if I need to take a Placement test?
Placement testing is not required for registration. However, if you wish to register for a higher level class than the one in which you were originally placed, then you may take Placement tests in order to demonstrate your ability to perform at the next level.
How do I register for Placement Testing?
Chemistry and Composition Placement Tests are scheduled regularly throughout the year. You can register for placement testing in the following ways:
- Chemistry Placement Tests are given by appointment only. Call Instructional & Testing Services at 256-824-6725 to schedule an appointment.
- Composition Placement Tests for EH 101 are by appointment only. Call Instructional & Testing Services at 256-824-6725 to schedule an appointment.
How much does it cost to take a Placement Test?
There is no charge for Placement testing.
What should I bring with me to the Testing Center?
You should bring a valid photo ID (driver's license, Charger Card, military ID, etc.) and either your student A# or SSN. For Chemistry Placement only, you may bring a calulator. All other materials will be provided for you.
How long are Placement tests?
- Chemistry Placement is 80 minutes and consists of 80 multiple choice questions.
- Composition Placement is 45 minutes and consists of one essay question.
When will I know the results from my Placement test?
- Chemistry results are calculated the same day the tests are taken and are available by calling Testing Services at 256-824-6725.
- Composition essays are graded and reported by the English Department, who will notify you when your results are complete. See the English Department Website.
May I retake Placement tests?
Chemistry and Composition Placement tests may only be taken once.
Math Placement tests are now given online. Contact the Math department at 256-824-6470 for more information.
- Hits: 2330