Industrial and Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
Industrial Engineering and Management, Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK
Industrial Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Industrial Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Dr. Farrington is a Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering and Engineering Management at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. He holds B.S. and M.S. degrees in Industrial Engineering from the University of Missouri-Columbia and a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Management from Oklahoma State University. He has been on the faculty at UAH since 1991. From September 2002 to June 2008 he was Director of Distance Learning for the College of Engineering. From June 2008 to August 2010 he served as Interim Dean of Engineering. During his career Dr. Farrington has secured over $5 million in external research funding and published over 90 technical articles and papers. He has graduated 13 Ph.D. students and 77 master’s students. Dr. Farrington’s research interests include systems engineering, additive manufacturing, supply chain management, lean manufacturing, and quality engineering. He is a member of American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE), a senior member of American Society for Quality (ASQ) and the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), and a Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Management (ASEM).
- Quality Engineering
- Integrated Product and Process Design
- Teams and Teams Development
- Operations Models of Aerospace Systems
Honors & Awards
- 2006 ASEM Eschenbach Award – Best Paper Engineering Management Journal
- 2006 ASEM Meritorius Service Award
- 2006 UAH College of Engineering Outstanding Professor Award
- 2007 ASEM Bernard R. Sarchet Award
- 2007 Elected Fellow of ASEM
- 2009 ASEM Meritorius Service Award
- “Semantic Software Metrics Computed From Natural Language Design Specifications” IET Software (formerly IEE Proceedings Software), Vol. 2, No. 1, February 2008, (C. Gall (Stein), S. Lukins, L. Etzkorn, S. Gholston, P. Farrington, D. Utley, J. Fortune, and S. Virani) pp. 17-26.
- “Developing Freight Analysis Zones at a State Level: A Cluster Analysis Approach,” Proceedings of the 49th Annual Transportation Research Forum, March 17-19, 2008, Houston, Texas, (G.A. Harris, M.D. Anderson, N.S. Schoening, J.J. Swain).
- “Development of a Companion Set of Charts – Soft Sensor and Directional Moving Range – For Fault Monitoring, Detection and Diagnosis with Applications to Gas Turbine Engines, Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea and Air, June 9-13, Berlin, Germany (with D. Scheianu).
- “Faster, Better, Cheaper in the Context of Systems Engineering,” Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 3, September 2008, pp. 19-25. (B.R. Meade and P.A. Farrington).
- “Knowledge Workers and Managements Perceptions of Organizational Culture, Leadership Style and Individual Commitment and their Impact on Organizational Outcomes in Technology-Driven Organizations,” Proceedings of the 2008 American Society for Engineering Management National Conference, November 12-15, West Point, New York (with T. Maddox and E. Roper).
- “A Preliminary Assessment of the Relationships Between Project Success, System Engineering, and Team Organization,” Engineering Management Journal, Volume 20. Number 4, December 2008, (P.J. Componation, A.D. Youngblood, D.R. Utley, and P.A. Farrington) pp.40-46.
- “Semantic Metrics: Metrics based on Semantic Aspects of Software,” Applied Artificial Intelligence, Volume 23, Issue 1, January 2009, (C. Stein, L. Etzkorn, S. Gholston, P. Farrington, D. Utley, G. Cox, and J. Fortune) pp. 1-11.
- “The Coverage of Lean Principles in Higher Education Curricula,” Proceedings of the 2009 American Society for Engineering Management National Conference, October 14-17, Springfield, Missouri, (with L. Blanchard, G. Harris, and D. Utley).
- “The Development of an Integrated Freight Planning Framework,” Proceedings of the 2010 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, June 5-9, Cancun Mexico, (with G.A. Harris and M. Anderson).
- “Development of an Improved Soft Sensor for Industrial Processes Fault Detection and Diagnosis,” Proceedings of the 2010 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, June 5-9, Cancun Mexico, (with D. Scheianu).
- “Developing Freight Analysis Zones at a State Level: A Cluster Analysis Approach,” Journal of Transportation Research Forum, Vol. 49, No. 1, Spring 2010, (G. Harris, M. Anderson, P. Farrington, N. Schoening, J. Swain, and N. Sharma) pp.59-68.
- "Freight Data Mining Strategy Using Socio-economic Variables For Metropolitan Planning", Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing and Data Mining, August 14-16, San Jose, California (with N.S. Sharma, G.A. Harris , M.D. Anderson, and J.J. Swain).
- “An Exploration of Fisher’s Framework for the Alignment of Supply Chain Strategy with Product Characteristics,” Volume 23, Issue 1, March 2011, Engineering Management Journal, (G.A. Harris, P.J. Componation, P.A. Farrington) pp. 31-43.
- “The IPT Program at UAHuntsville: An Innovative Approach to Design Education and STEM Outreach,” Proceedings of the 2011 ASEE Annual Confernce, June 25-29, Vancouver, B.C. (with P.J. Benfield and M. Turner).
- “Assessing the Relationship between Systems Engineering MPTs and Integrated Product Team Performance,” 62nd International Astronautical Congress 2011, October 3-7, Cape Town, South Africa (Andrea Kirby, Paul Componation, Phillip Farrington).
- "Impact of Integrated Product Team Course on Skill Development and Workplace Preparation for Graduating Engineering Seniors," Proceedings of the 2012 ASEE Annual Confernce, June 25-29, San Antonio, Texas. (with D. Smith, M. Dillihunt, P.J. Benfield and M. Turner).
- "Impact of Innovative Student Project for the Increased Recruitment of Engineering and Science Students (InSPIRESS)," Proceedings of the 2012 ASEE Annual Confernce, June 10-13, San Antonio, Texas. (with M. Dillihunt, D. Smith, P.J. Benfield and M. Turner).
- “Antecedents of Proactive and Responsive Market Orientation,” International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, Volume 4, Number 1, 2013, (P. Lamore, D. Berkowitz, and P.A. Farrington) pp. 2-22.
- “Value-Based Assessment of DoD Acquisitions Programs, ” Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER '13), Eds.: C.J.J. Paredis, C. Bishop, D. Bodner, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, March 19-22, 2013. (I. Maddox, P. Collopy, and P.A. Farrington).
- “Proactive/Responsive Market Orientation and Marketing – Research and Development Integration,” Journal of Product Innovation Management, Volume 30, Issue 4, July 2013, (P. Lamore, D. Berkowitz, and P.A. Farrington) pp. 695–711.
- “Systems Engineering and Project Success in Government and Commercial Organizations,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Management 2013 International Annual Conference, October 2-5, Minneapolis, Minnesota, (P.J. Componation, M. Dorneich, G. Hu, P.A. Farrington, J.L. Hansen).
- “Building a Path to Elegant Design,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Management 2014 International Annual Conference, October 15-18, Virginia Beach, Virginia, (M. Watson, M. Griffin, P.A. Farrington, L. Burns, W. Colley, P. Collopy, J. Doty, S. Johnson, R. Malak, J. Shelton, Z. Szajnfarber, D.R. Utley, M.Yang).
- “Transitioning from Teaching Lean Tools to Teaching Lean Transformation,” Journal of Enterprise Transformation, accepted for publication in forthcoming issue, (G. A. Harris, K.B. Stone, T. Mayeshiba, P.J. Componation, and P.A. Farrington).