UAH provides service opportunities for students that promote development of life skills that prepares successful citizens of the world.
Is an organization of students at the UAH which gives back to the community and organizes these opportunites for UAH students, faculty, and staff to attend.
Burritt On The Mountain | Holiday Volunteering (Nov/Dec)
Listed below are our upcoming holiday volunteers needs, so if you see something you'd like to help out with just give me a call at 256-533-1365 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't reach me, please leave a message (I'm part time and not always in the office) and I'll get back to you asap! If you're already signed up to work at our holiday events, then feel free to pass this on to friends and family. We'd love to get to know some new volunteers!
- Holiday Candle Sconce installation, Monday, November 25, 9am-12pm: Hundreds of wooden stakes are sledge-hammered into the ground throughout the Burritt site.Dress ruggedly, wear gloves & bring earplugs! Bring a sledgehammer if you have one.
- Fruit Fan Workshop, Wednesday, December 4, 9am-1pm in the Trillium Room: This project involves sharp branches, nails, and staple guns, so be prepared to work! Design in pairs to create amazing fruit fans of apples, oranges, magnolia leaves and cedar. You'll be on your feet the whole time, so wear comfortable shoes, gloves, and wear old clothing or a protective covering.Kris Kringle's Candlelight Christmas:
- Glass hurricane globe set-up at Kris Kringle's Candlelight Christmas, Friday, December 6, 1:30-3:00pm: Hurricane globes are added to each of the candle sconces, then we light the candles, and it's just beautiful at night. It takes a lot of legwork -- and lots of legs -- to take the boxes of globes out into the park, place the globes, and return the boxes to storage.
- Candle lighting is immediately afterwards from 3:00-4:30 on Friday and again from 3:00-4:30 on Saturday.
- Glass globe PICKUP on Saturday night from 8:30-10pmHoliday Magic:
- Glass hurricane globe set-up at Holiday Magic on Thursday, December 12, from 3:30-5pm: Same as above, just a different event, date, and time.
- Candle lighting is immediately afterwards from 5:00-7:00 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
- Glass globe PICKUP on Saturday night from 9-10:30pm
- Holiday Magic Chairs & Servers (ages 21+) needed in Historic Cabins (all three nights), the Church (Friday only; needs servers & a bartender), or the Mansion (Friday and Saturday only): Holiday Magic is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, December 12, 13 & 14. Call or email to find out which positions are still available. First come, first served!! Shifts start at either 5:45 or 6:00pm.
- Holiday Magic Bartenders needed in Trillium Room on Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, December 12, 13, 14, from 5:30-7:00pm: No experience is necessary (ages 21+), but dress in black pants, a white top, and smile and be friendly!
SNAP (Spay/Neuter Action Project)
SNAP (Spay/Neuter Action Project) is a 501 c3 non-profit
organization that provides spay/neuter surgeries for pets of low income
families in order to lower the number of homeless animals killed in our
community. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities and would like
to let UAH students know about them.
We need help at our Thrift Shop. Some of the needs are sorting,
pricing, helping customers and picking up donations. (We provide the
van.) We're located at 2905 Bob Wallace Ave. Hours are 11:00 - 4:00
Tuesday through Saturday.
We also need help with adoption events.
Volunteers will be helping to save the lives of animals in our
CASA | No Place Like Home 5k
Saturday, November 23rd at 8:00am will be the inaugural run for CASA's No Place Like Home 5K promoting awareness for the needs of our aging and homebound neighbors. CASA's annual sponsor, The Commons 55+ Active Adult Community, made the first 5K run possible, along with First Family Mortgage Company, Edward Jones-Architect, First Commercial Bank, HGR Attorneys at Law, Sterling Health and Compounding, Jason's Deli, Tate Services, and Atlanta Bread Company. We are extremely thankful to QinetiQ for providing the race location in Cummings Research Park. As well as the great support and supplies from Fleet Feet of Huntsville. Thank you to our Media Sponsor, WZYP and C&A Printing for their support in getting the word out about the run through radio and print. After the race, awards will be given to the overall male and female finishers plus the top 3 male and female finishers in each age group. Each runner will also receive a shirt for their participation.
Not running? We could use you as a volunteer for the race! Email email@example.com Ned Jones, Race Volunteer Coordinator, if you are interested in more information about helping with our first 5k run.
To Register, click here >>>> http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=15156
CASA | Warehouse Worknights
Tuesday, November 5th
5:00pm - 7:00pm
Tuesday, December 3rd
5:00p - 7:00pm
Ramp Blitz 2013 - Give a Ramp for the Holidays
Warehouse Dates TBD - Leaders Needed!
December 20th - 22nd be a part of a wheelchair ramp build.
If you would like to be a part of this opportunity, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, Tracy for more information and to sign up. Also, let Tracy know if you would like to be added to the Warehouse list to be sure to get the latest information as soon as it is available.
CASA | Build Ramps for the Holidays
The goal for the 2013 Wheelchair Ramp Blitz is 12 ramps giving a new-found freedom and independence to our awaiting seniors!
December 20, 2013 - December 22, 2013
8am - 5pm
6 - 12 Teams, each team should have 7 members, with at least 3 adults on each team
(Parents are responsible for their child under the age of 18)
More information can be found on our website atwww.casamadisoncty.org.
CASA | Christmas Countdown
The holiday season is just around the corner and the CASA staff is beginning to prepare for our holiday program.
Each year we have the honor of providing gifts to our clients through generous donations from our community.
Several volunteer opportunities are available also! If your youth group, social club or company would like to provide gifts to our clients, contact
CASA will require dozens of delivery volunteers! If you would like to be included in information about our Christmas Deliveries apply here.
Teach For America
Teach For America is building the national movement to change this. We know it’s possible to give all kids a great education and the opportunities that come with it. By teaching for two years in Teach For America’s corps, you will join thousands of leaders helping students in low-income communities make the academic progress that will expand their opportunities for the future. You’ll develop the leadership skills, insights, and commitment that will drive you to be a lifelong advocate for kids. And you’ll build relationships with fellow corps members and others in your community working to meet this challenge.
Hear from 2001 Teach For America corps member Hunter Pierson who currently works for one of our partners, Goldman Sachs, and works to improve the education in New Orleans on the board of a charter school organization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRUyDi0n9Q.
You have the power to change things. Open an application to the 2014 corps here: www.teachforamerica.org/apply.
FIRST Application Deadline: August 16th, 2013
Initial online application is non-binding and brief – just a resume and short answer questions – so there’s still plenty of time to complete a strong application by next Friday. See full timeframe for all deadlines here: http://www.teachforamerica.org/why-teach-for-america/how-to-apply.
There are several benefits to applying at this deadline
- Greater likelihood of being placed in your top choice region and subject
- Knowing you have a job for next year by November 1st
- More time to prepare for your transition to Teach For America
To learn more, visit www.teachforamerica.org.
Full salary and benefits. Federal student loans deferred. All majors and career backgrounds.
- Hits: 4491