Since its inception in 1992, the University of Alabama in Huntsville's Staff Senate has served as a voice for the UAH staff community to bring forth improvements in employee policies and procedures, employee benefits and initiating events that recognize the dedication, contributions and commitment of UAH staff members.
- Originated UAH Foundation Annual Staff Awards that recognize outstanding staff achievements and contributions to the university
- Restructured employee benefits committee to include equal representation for Staff Senate and Faculty Senate
- Increased training and development opportunities for UAH staff
- Provide lunch hour seminars for personal and professional development
- Encouraged the development of emergency plans for each building on campus
- Encouraged the concept to install emergency sirens on campus
- Helped the university in several major transitions - from quarterly to semester grading periods and from a monthly to a bi-weekly payroll
- 2010-2012 Senate: Increased training and development opportunities for UAH staff
- 2010-2012 Senate: Provide lunch hour seminars for personal and professional development
- Instrumental in promoting a political action committee for the university as well as the entire University of Alabama System
- 2012-2013 Senate: Launched a Staff Senate email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) to allow for ease in communication from the UAH campus community to their Staff Senate representatives.
- 2012-2013 Senate: Reviewed and worked on revisions to the Staff Sick Leave policies, in coordination with HR on the UAH campus.
- 2013-2014 Senate: Created a Staff Senate Inquiry Form to allow campus staff members to submit inquiries through this form, along with our SS UAH email address.
- 2013-2014 Senate: Pursued expansion of the tuition assistance policy beyond the current UAH provisions (pending).
- 2013-2014 Senate: Evaluated the 2014 4-Day Summer Work Schedule proposal, collected UAH colleague responses, and presented findings to President (pending).
Tell us how we can better serve the UAH staff community. Send your suggestions, opinions and feedback regarding Staff Senate activities to the Senate's Staff Relations Officer at email@example.com.