Students are required to have their mathematics placement level determined before enrolling in their first mathematics course at UAH. This process is intended to help make sure that students are placed in an appropriate course, and therefore have the best possible opportunity for success.
Students are placed at the appropriate level according to AP calculus test scores, ACT/SAT scores in mathematics, their previous college credit (precalculus or higher), or a placement test. Students with various placement levels can begin their MA courses (depending on their major) as follows:
- Level 0: MA 107L, MA 110L, or MA 112L
- Level 1: MA 107, MA 110, or MA 112
- Level 2: MA 113, MA 115, or MA 120
- Level 3: MA 171
The following table describes placement based on ACT scores, SAT scores, and the placement test.
||AP Calculus Test Score
Equivalent Math Course (dependent on major)
||MA 107L, 110L, 112L
||MA 107, 110, 112
||MA 113, 115, 120
||3 (either AB or BC test)
||4 or 5 (only the BC test)
Please note that the equivalent mathematics course is the course that the student must enroll in based upon placement.
Mathematics Placement Test
MyMathTest is a dynamic, interactive testing program. Access to the MyMathTest program has been provided for you by Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Diirections for the math placement test are given below:
Student Registration for math placement test:
- Go to www.mymathtest.com and click the Register button under “New User”.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to create your personal login and password.
- Type in your student access code (provided above) using the tab key to move from one box to the next.
- Enter your first and last name and email address. Re-type your email address to make sure it is correct.
- Select United States from the School Country drop-down menu.
- Enter your school zip code (35899) and select University of Alabama Huntsville from the school drop-down list.
- Select a security question and answer to ensure the privacy of your account.
- When your registration process is complete you will see a confirmation screen. This information will also be emailed to you. Please be sure to save or print your login name, password, and account information.
- Click Log In Now and then click on Enter MyMathTest to begin.
- Go to www.mymathtest.com and enter the login name and password you created. Click on Enter MyMathTest.
- The first time you log in you need to enroll in the UAH Placement program.
- Type in the program ID below:
- UAH Math Placement 2014 - XL1G-Z1FJ-401Y-3EW2
- The program opens to the announcements page, please review all program information.
- If you are using your home computer run the Browser Check. It will detect and then help you install the plug-ins you need to access the math exercises and multimedia content in your MyMathTest program. Follow the screen instructions to complete this process.
- MyMathTest supports PC and Mac computers, using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
- After completing the installation process and closing the wizard you will be back on your program home page.
- NOTE: The MyMathTest software may already be installed on student lab computers at your school. If you aren’t sure, check with your lab administrator.
- After review of the How to enter Answers tour you are ready to begin working with MyMathTest.
Need assistance with selection a math course? Contact the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Alabama at (256) 824-6470.
Need technical help? Contact Technical Support at http://mymathtest.pearsoncmg.com/student-support for live CHAT, email or phone support. For online help using MyMathTest, click the Help link at the top right of the MyMathTest window.