Professor of Chemistry and
Adjunct Professor of Physics and Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemistry
Chemical Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude, Yale University, New Haven, CT
1982 - Professor of Chemistry, Adjunct Professor of Physics and Adjunct Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL
- 1998 – 1999 and Spring 2007, Visiting Professor, Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
- 1992 - 1995 Director, University of Alabama System Ph.D. Program in Materials Science.
- 1985 - 1999 Principal Scientist, Consortium for Materials Development in Space, University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- 1982 – 1990 and 2001- 2005. Chairman, Department of Chemistry. University of Alabama in Huntsville.
1981-1982 Manager, Radiochemistry Unit, General Electric Company, Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory, Schenectady, NY
1970-1981 Research Physicist, Health Physics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
1969-1970 Captain, U.S. Army, Sandia Base, Albuquerque, NM.
- Phase transitions and critical phenomena with emphasis on the properties of chemical reactions in binary liquid mixtures having a consolute point.
- Protein crystallization, especially nucleation, growth, and Ostwald ripening of protein crystals.
- Theory of atomic diffusion. This topic includes the application of the theory of solid state atomic diffusion to two problems:
- hydrogen energy storage in transition metals, and
- production of atomic oxygen beams by oxygen atom diffusion through silver.
- Shock wave theory applied to hypervelocity impact radiation.
- Quantum theory of heat transfer at the gas-solid interface.
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa.
- Sigma Xi.
- Henry Fellowship for study at Cambridge University, England, 1963.
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship, 1963-64.
- Oak Ridge Graduate Fellowship, 1965-68.
- Defense Atomic Support Agency Certificate of Achievement, 1970.
- NATO Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Theoretical Chemistry, Oxford University, England, 1979 - 1982.
- American Chemical Society, Carolina-Piedmont Section, Charles H. Stone Award for Research, 1991.
- American Society for Engineering Education Distinguished Summer Faculty Research Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Summer Faculty Research Fellow, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Al, 2001
- University of Alabama of Huntsville Foundation Award in Research and Creative Achievement in the Physical Sciences, 2008.
Teaching and Service Awards:
- University of Alabama in Huntsville Student Government Association Outstanding Teacher Award, 1996.
- Alpha Lambda Delta Freshman Honor Society Best Teacher of the Year Award, 1997.
- University of Alabama in Huntsville College of Science Dean’s Service Award, 2001.
- Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Who's Who in American Education., Who’s Who in America.
- Y. W. Kim and J. K. Baird, "Reaction Kinetics and Critical Phenomena: Rates of Some First Order Gas Evolution Reactions in Binary Solvents with a Consolute Point", Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 109, 4750 – 4757 (2005).
- Yeong Woo Kim and James K. Baird, "Chemical Equilibrium and Critical Phenomena: The Solubilities of Manganese Dioxide and Aluminum Oxide in Isobutyric Acid + Water Near Its Consolute Point", Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 109 , 17262 – 17266 (2005)
- Katiuska G. Caraballo, James K. Baird, and Joseph D. Ng, "Comparison of the Crystallization Kinetics of Canavalin and Lysozyme", Crystal Growth and Design 6, 874 -880 (2006).
- Christopher D. Specker, Joel M. Ellis, and James K. Baird, "Chemical Dynamics and Critical Phenomena: Electrical Conductivity and Reactivity of Benzyl Bromide in Triethylamine + Water Near its Consolute Point", International Journal of Thermophysics 28, 846 – 854 (2007).
- Jeffrey D. Rowe and James K. Baird, "Reduced Capillary Length Scale in the Application of the Theory of Ostwald Ripening to the Coarsening of Charged Colloidal Crystals in Electrolyte Solutions", International Journal of Thermophysics 28, 855 – 864 (2007).
- James K. Baird, "Phonon Assisted Transport of a Reactive Atom in the Lattice of a Solid Metal Catalyst", Molecular Physics. 105, 2783 – 2791 (2007)
- Baichuan Hu, Randi D. Richey, and James K. Baird, "Chemical Equilibrium and Critical Phenomena: Solubility of Indium Oxide in Isobutyric Acid + Water near its Consolute Point", Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 54, 1537-1540 (2009)
- Baichuan Hu and James K. Baird, "Reaction Kinetics and Critical Phenomena: Iodination of Acetone in Isobutyric Acid + Water Near the Consolute Point", Journal of Physical Chemistry A 114, 355 – 359 (2010)
- Baichuan Hu and James K. Baird, "Chemical Equilibrium and Critical Phenomena: The Solubilities of Iron (III) Oxide and Cobalt (II, III) Oxide in Isobutyric Acid + Water Near the Consolute Point", International Journal of Thermophysics 31, 717 (2010).
- B. Hu, J. K. Baird, R. D. Richey, and R. G. Reddy, "A Chemical Test of the Principle of Critical Point Universality: The Solubility of Nickel (II) Oxide in Isobutyric Acid + Water Near the Consolute Point", Journal of Chemical Physics 134, 154505 (2011).
- T. J. Giesy, A. S. Chou, R. McFeeters, J. K. Baird, and D. A. Barlow, "Critical Point Universality in Adsorption: The Effect of Charcoal on Isobutyric Acid + Water Near the Consolute Point", Physical Review E. 83, 061201 (2011).