Programs & Requirements
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, DVM
There are 28 veterinary schools in the US. The DVM is 4 year professional degree. Not all schools require a Bachelor's degree, however all have a minimum number of credit hours to achieve before being accepted. Students must pass the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE). Most states require an extra licensing exam.
Schools in Alabama
Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine - Auburn, AL
Course & GPA Requirements
Most schools have a minimum GPA of a 3.0, but to be a competitve student, we recommend a 3.5+ cumulative GPA.
- 8 hrs - General Biology
- 8 hrs - General Chemistry
- 6 hrs - Organic Chemistry: Including lab work.
- 8 hrs - General Physics
- 3 hrs - Biochemistry
- 3 hrs - Animal Nutrition (course not offered at UAH, can be taken online from Oklahoma State)
- 6 hrs - Mathematics (Pre-cal/Trig or higher, Calculus recommended)
- 6 hrs - Science Electives - such classes could be: genetics, microbiology, vertabrate zoology
Most upper level science courses will prove you are interested in science and enjoy an in depth look into these subjects. There is a lot more you can do to make your application stand out, click here to read more.
The above courses support required and suggested coursework for Auburn Vet school. Please keep in mind this is a guideline and specific requirements differ greatly amongst various vet schools across the country.
- Hits: 673