Programs & Requirements
Doctor of Optometry, O.D.
There are 20 schools in the US for optometry. Optometry school takes 4 years and must pass a national examination by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO). Some may go on to complete 1-2 more years of training for a specific speciality through a residency.
Schools in Alabama
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry (UAB) - Birmingham, AL
Course & GPA Requirements
Most schools have a minimum GPA of a 3.0, but to be a competitive student, we recommend a 3.5+ cumulative and science GPA. Applicants should be scheduled to have a bachelor degree at the time they should start their first day of class in Optometry school.
Pre-requisites of the below courses are enforced.
- 8 hrs - General Biology I and II
- 8 hrs - General Chemistry I and II
- 4 hrs - Organic Chemistry I
- 4 hrs - Biochemistry is recommended strongly.
- 8 hrs - General Physics I and II
- 4 hrs - Microbiology
- 6 hrs - Mathematics (Calculus A and Statistics)
- 3 hrs - Psychology
- 6 hrs - Social and Behavioral Sciences (Any combination of two semesters or two quarters in sociology, economics, anthropology, history, political science or additional psychology)
There is a lot more you can do to make your application stand out, click here to read more.
The above courses support required and suggested coursework for UAB Optometry School. Please keep in mind this is a guideline and specific requirements differ amongst different schools.
- Hits: 958