Programs & Requirements
Doctor of Medical Dentistry, D.M.D and Doctor of Dental Surgery, D.D.S.
The DMD and the DDS are equivalent 4 year degrees after an undergraduate career. The requirements during school are the same and both professionals must pass the National Board Dental Eaminations (NBDE). The only difference is that certain schools award a DMD, while most award a DDS.
Schools in Alabama
- University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry (UAB) - DMD program - Birmingham, AL
Course & GPA Requirements
Most schools have a minimum GPA of a 3.0, but to be a competitive student, we recommend a 3.5+ cumulative and science GPA. "Science" includes Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.
Pre-requisites of the below courses are enforced.
- 12 hrs - Biology: 8 hrs General Biology. Upper level courses can be cell biology, microbiology, anatomy and physiology, and/or others.
- 8 hrs - General Chemistry: Including lab work.
- 8 hrs - Organic Chemistry: Including lab work. Biochemistry is recommended strongly.
- 8 hrs - General Physics
- 6 hrs - Mathematics (Calculus and Statistics recommended)
- 30 hrs - Non-Science Classes: Such recommended classes are English (6 hrs), social sciences and humanities (Psyc 101 and Soc 100). Courses to enhance manual dexterity (sculpting, painting, etc.) are also encouraged.
We strongly recommend Biochemistry in your list of courses. It will help your application, assist in dental school, and help on your DAT (entrance exam).
Most upper level science courses will prove you are interested in science, enjoy an in depth look into these subjects, and will greatly assist you on the DAT. There is a lot more you can do to make your application stand out, click here to read more.
The above courses support required and suggested coursework for Alabama dental schools. Please keep in mind this is a guideline and specific requirements differ amongst different schools.
- Hits: 1523