The Health Professional Honor Society
AED functions both as an Honor Society and service organization. This dual role is reflected in the societal structure and chapter activities.
Chartered on May 12, 1979, Alpha Epsilon serves as the UAH Chapter of AED.
Dr. Moriarity, Biological Sciences Chair
Ms. Dana Warner, Coordinator, Pre-Health Professions Advising
The mission of Alpha Epsilon Delta (chapter Alabama Epsilon) is to encourage and recognize excellence in pre-professional scholarship; to stimulate an appreciation of the importance of education; to promote communication between undergraduate and professional-school students and educators; to provide a forum for students with common interests; and to use its resources to benefit health organizations, charities and the community.
Applications & Requirements:
Due early Spring, once a year
To be considered for AED membership with the Alabama Epsilon Chapter, candidates must meet the following requirements according to the AED constitution:
- 3.2 Cumulative GPA
- 3.2 Science GPA
- Completed at least 3 semesters at UAH (fall, spring, and/or summer), or one semester at UAH if transferring
- Active participation in AED/MCC activities and/or events
- Be enrolled in or have completed a 300-level science course (biology, chemistry, math, physics)
Requirements of Membership:
Participation and fulfillment of the AED purpose, constitution, and dues are required to be considered an active member.
Benefits of Membership:
- Public recognition of outstanding scholarship
- Opportunity to be part of a national group of students interested in professional health as a career
- Publications of the Society are devoted to the interests of students in the health professions. The Scalpel is an educational journal, and a compilation of events and activities
- Opportunities to participate in activities which promote interest in professional health
- Interaction with other chapter members and professionals throughout the US
- Participation in national conventions and meetings of the Society
- Consideration for AED scholarships
Functions of Alpha Epsilon Delta:
- Encourage and recognize academic excellence among students
- Offer opportunities for intellectual and professional development
- Promote communication between health professionals, students, and educators
- Provide a forum for students with common interests
- Use resources to benefit health organizations, the university, charities, and the community
- Stimulate an appreciation of the importance of pre-health education