So I've Been Accepted to UAHuntsville as a Science Major? Now What?
First, congratulations! Second, relax! We have your back. Just follow these steps and you'll be ahead of the game.
1. Register for Orientation.
Question: How do I register for orientation?
Question: Which orientation session should I attend?
Attend an orientation session earlier in the summer if possible; the dates can be found here. Classes fill up during the summer, so you'll have more schedule flexibility and choices if you attend a June session than if you attend an August one.
Question: When do I get to register for classes?
On the first day of your orientation session, you'll be given a list of suggested courses to take for the fall semester. On the second day, you'll have one-on-one advising followed by a registration session.
Question: Do I register for classes myself?
Yes, registration occurs through the UAHuntsville website, but don't panic. You will be advised on how to register beforehand, and we have current students and advisors available to guide you through the process.
Question: What if I am taking AP/IB courses and don't know my test scores during orientation?
You will register for classes based on your ACT/SAT test scores. See Class Placement for Entering Students for details. For example, if your math ACT score is 26, you'll be placed in MA 113 Precalculus Trigonometry. When your AP/IB test score become available, you can change your classes based on your test scores on your own at home.
Question: What if I'm not happy with my potential class placement?
You can take a math, English, or foreign language placement exam. You can take placement exams before, at, or after orientation; but taking them before is preferred. To take a placement exam before orientation, contact one of the following departments: Math (256-824-6470), English (256-824-6320), or Foreign Language (256-824-6645). Please let the person know that you are an incoming freshman and wish to take the placement exam before your orientation.
Question: Is orientation just about registering for classes?
No! Orientation is about getting you prepared for life at UAHuntsville, which is a WHOLE lot more than just what classes you take.
2. Before Orientation
Question: What else do I need to do before orientation?
- Complete your pre-orientation homework that will be emailed to you.
- Complete the College of Science New Student Survey.
- Bring a copy of the test scores (AP/IB) or college transcript (if dual enrollment) with you to orientation.
- Send your official test scores and/or official college transcript (if dual-enrolled or have/are taking a community college class) to UAHuntsville. Send official transcripts to: UAHuntsville Office of Admissions, EB 117, 301 Sparkman Dr., Huntsville, AL 35899. Send official AP/IB test scores to: UAHuntsville, Attn: Janet Waller, UC 124, 301 Sparkman Dr., Huntsville, AL 35899. School code is 1854.
- Apply for on-campus housing.
- Log into Banner–requires your A# mailed to you in your acceptance letter and the default password of first name initial captialized & last name initial capitalized followed by your 6-digit birthday (MMDDYY).
- In Banner, find your email address and activate your UAHuntsville email account...then start checking it daily.
- Make sure you've applied for scholarships and financial aid.
- Submit your immunization documents. This must be turned in prior to starting classes.
- Review and choose your meal plan option.
- On Facebook? Start getting to know your peers by liking the UAHuntsville Class of 2017 page.
3. At Orientation
Question: What will I be doing for 2 days at orientation?
See the full schedule of activities (available here).
Meet advisors and faculty and register for classes.
Obtain information about student activities, housing, and campus life. Remember, orientation is about getting you prepared for life at UAHuntsville, which is a WHOLE lot more than just what classes you take.
4. After Orientation
Question: So that's it, right?
Hold on...you still have some things to do before you arrive:
- Buy your supplies.
- Change your schedule if your AP/IB test scores arrived after orientation and you want to change your classes. Do so before classes begin.
- Check your UAHuntsville email frequently for important updates and requests for information.
- Buy your parking pass.
- Review your tuition bill & financial aid information on Banner. Tuition can be paid in one of the following ways: online through Banner, in Charger Central (UC 118), by check, credit, or debit card, or at the Bursar's office (UC 213). Tuition is due each semester by the official first day of classes by 5pm.
- Mark your calendar for the College of Science Week of Welcome event. You'll receive the official invite at orientation; all new freshmen and incoming transfer students are expected to attend. But don't worry: it's fun!
5. First Day of Classes
Question: When does the fun start?
Week of Welcome actually starts August 16.
Question: When do classes begin?
August 21! There will be welcome tables outside of the buildings to help get you to where you're going, so make sure to ask questions if you need help. And take full advantage of all the great Week of Welcome events.
Still Have a Question?
- Hits: 1698