Gain an introduction to the discipline of flight test engineering. Establish your knowledge of fundamental categories of flight testing: experimental, development, production, certification, and operational. Explore the evolving role of the flight test engineer (FTE) in flight test activity emphasizing research, development, and test and evaluation of present day aircraft. Build a foundational understanding of civil aircraft certification requirements and relevant military specifications. Learn FTE responsibilities and relationships with test pilots; aerodynamic, flight control, performance, propulsion, and systems engineers; and management. Learn fundamental principles of flight test planning, ground testing, the role of simulation, and resource and program management.
- Flight testing from planning and management perspectives
- Civil and military certification requirements and specifications
- Flight test safety issues examining risk analysis, envelope expansion, the FAA's flight test safety database and mishap history in flight testing
- Management perspectives and effective responses
- Test pilot concerns and appropriate relationship management
Undergraduate degree in a technical field or equivalent experience.