Frequently Asked Questions About Technology Commercialization
The following sections explain various aspects of technology commercialization at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. To go directly to a particular section, please click on its heading.
If you have additional questions regarding intellectual property, patenting, or commercialization, please contact the UAHuntsville Office of Technology Commercialization by firstname.lastname@example.org">email or by calling 256-824-6620.
Protecting and Evaluating Intellectual Property
- How does UAHuntsville evaluate whether intellectual property should be protected?
- What is the Bayh-Dole Act and what is its significance?
- What is the current UAHuntsville Patent Policy and where can I get a copy?
- Who owns intellectual property created at UAHuntsville?
- How can I best document the process of my IP to protect its patentability?
- When should I contact OTC, and why is this important?
- Whom should I contact if I think I have intellectual property to disclose to UAHuntsville?
- What can be patented?
- What is a patent?
Patenting and Licensing
- What is licensing?
- How long does it take to receive a patent?
- What is the approximate cost to file a patent?
- If I have questions, whom should I contact?
- How does the commercialization process work?