Clinical Assistant Professor
Office: WH 330F
- PhD in Nursing (in progress), Medical University of South Carolina
- MSN/FNP (subspecialty in palliative care), University of Alabama Birmingham
- MSN, University of Phoenix
- BSN, University of North Carolina Greensboro
- ADN, Davidson County Community College
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) - ANCC
- Emergency Nursing
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Home Health
- Case Management
- Legal Nurse Consulting
- NUR 310 – Professional Practice in Nursing I
- Volunteer, Lincoln Charter School, Lincolnton, NC
- Faculty Search Committee, UAH
- Wesley Scholar Award, UNCG
- End-of-life care
- Palliative care
- Artificial Nutrition and Hydration in dementia
- Suffering at end of life
Publications and Presentations
- Smith, L. (2005). Oxycontin litigation. Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, 16(4), 11-13.
- Smith, L. (2005). Business of expert witnessing. In P. Iyer, K. Condon, & J. Aken (Eds.), Business of legal nurse consulting. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL.
- Smith, L. (2004). Cancer and oncology. In Internet medical & health, searching and sources guidebook. Med-Legal.net, Inc.: Osceola, WI
- Smith, L. (2013). A dimensional analysis on the concept of suffering in people with dementia at end of life. Accepted for poster presentation at Gerontological Society of America's 66th Annual Scientific Meeting (November), New Orleans, LA. Not presented.
- Smith, L. (2013). A concept dimensional analysis of suffering in people with dementia at end of life. Accepted for oral presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International Biennial Conference (November), Indianapolis, IN.
- Smith, L. (2012). Nutrition decisions in the dying. Poster presentation at Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Hooks, J. & Smith, L. (2009). Music therapy as an adjunct to decrease dyspnea at end of life. Poster presentation at University of Alabama Birmingham, Birmingham, AL.
- Smith, L., Wong, D., Baker, E., Jones, M., Deaton, S., Barnette, L., & Adams, D. (2009). Is inactivity related to delay in discharge or increased length of stay? Poster Presentation accepted and presented at Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Smith, L., Wong, D., Baker, E., Jones, M., Deaton, S., Barnette, L., & Adams, D. (2009). Is inactivity related to delay in discharge or increased length of stay? Poster Presentation accepted (not presented) at Sigma Theta Tau Biennial Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Smith, L. (2005). Understanding Medical Terminology in Medical Records, Metrolina Paralegal Association, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Smith, L. (2002). Documentation Issues and Charting for the Future, Lorman Education Services, Greensboro, North Carolina