Why the RN-MSN Option?
Because, acceptance into the RN-MSN option guarantees your spot in the graduate program and allows you to complete up to 2 graduate level courses (6 hrs) in the first year.
What area can I study in the graduate program?
What is the total time frame for the RN-MSN option?
Total completion time for the RN-MSN option is 2 years (six semesters). The first year consists of bachelor's coursework (see RN-BSN Online Degree Program) with the inclusion of 2 graduate courses. The second year is strictly master's coursework. The RN-BSN and MSN can be completed separately for those not wishing to apply to the RN-MSN program.
What things do I need to consider before applying?
- Applicants for the RN-MSN degree program must submit both the UAH Undergraduate Application for Admission forms and the UAH Graduate Application for Admission forms and meet all requirements for unconditional admission to both.
- Unconditional admission to the MSN degree program includes a minimum of 3.0 GPA on overall baccalaureate work or on the last 60 hours of baccalaureate studies, plus a minimum score of 410 on the MAT or the minimum scores for the GRE which are 150 Verbal, 150 Quantitative, and 3.0 Analytical Writing.
- The priority deadline for submitting all required documents for the RN-MSN is April 1. Applications received after those dates are considered on a space available basis.
- Associate degree prepared Registered Nurses may apply for the RN-BSN or RN-MSN program. Those who apply to the RN-MSN program and do not have either the minimum 3.0 GPA or the minimum test scores will automatically be admitted to the RN-BSN program.
What are the admission requirements?
- Completed application to UAH Undergraduate admissions.
- Completed application to UAH Graduate admissions.
- Completed application to the College of Nursing.
- Official transcripts from each college/university attended – grade point average of 3.0 on overall baccalaureate work, or on last 60 hours of baccalaureate work sent to the Admissions office and the College of Nursing.
- Three completed recommendation forms – one from someone familiar with your clinical abilities, one from someone familiar with your academic abilities, and one from either area, sent to the College of Nursing.
- MAT score of 410 or the GRE minimum scores of 150 Verbal, 150 Quantitative, and 3.0 Analytical Writing. Scores should be sent to Graduate Admissions.
- Application fee need only be sent with one UAH application (only applies to students who have never applied or attended the University before).
- Deadline for submission of all application documents is April 1.
RN-MSN Year 1 Curriculum (includes 6 hours of graduate courses)
|| Semester Hours
| NUR 339
|| Information Management in Healthcare
| NUR 410
|| Transition into Professional Roles
| NUR 411
|| Theoretical Applications in Nursing Practice
| NUR 413
|| Leadership in Professional Practice
| NUR 605
|| Advanced Health Assessment (on campus)
|| 17 SH
|| Semester Hours
| NUR 412
|| Caring for Families, Aggregates, and Populations
| NUR 420
|| Evidence Based Nursing Practice
|| 3 SH
| NUR 602
|| Scholarly Inquiry Advanced Nurse Practice
|| 3 SH
| NUR 000
|| Validation Credit (39 Hours)
|| 13 SH
Program Total = 30 Semester Hours
Please see the individual MSN program tracks for the full time (4 semesters) curriculum.
Course curriculum is subject to change.
For more detailed information, contact the UAH College of Nursing Office of Graduate Programs at (256) 824-6669.