MSN Admission Requirements
Priority Application Deadline: April 1
Admission into the graduate program is competitive and is based on the strength of the applicants' records. Students applying for fall admission must submit their application package by stated deadlines.
Each student must apply to the School of Graduate Studies as well as apply to the College of Nursing. Please note that admission to the School of Graduate Studies does not imply admission to the College of Nursing. All students must meet the requirements for admission into the School of Graduate Studies. In addition to those requirements, the requirements for admission into the College of Nursing are:
MSN Admission Requirements:
- Graduation from a National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or Commission for Collegiate Nursing Education accredited baccalaureate program with a major in nursing;
- Overall grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all baccalaureate coursework or on the last 60 semester hours of baccalaureate coursework completed;
- Acceptable score on either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years. The minimum score on the MAT is 410. The minimum scores for the GRE are 150 Verbal, 150 Quantitative, and 3.0 Analytical Writing.
- Note: Students applying for admission to the MSN program with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale in all baccalaureate coursework or on the last 60 semester hours of baccalaureate coursework completed, will not be required to take the GRE or MAT. Students who meet the 3.2 minimum GPA requirement should indicate "Waive" on the UAH Graduate Application under the "Test History" heading. The waiver will be granted after all transcripts have been received and the GPA has been validated. Approval for the GRE or MAT waiver does not imply or guarantee admission to the MSN program.;
- Three completed College of Nursing Graduate Recommendation Forms from individuals familiar with applicant's academic and clinical abilities. One recommendation is encouraged to be from a former nursing instructor/dean and one should be from an employer/supervisor. Forms are available in the College of Nursing Office of Graduate Programs;
- Satisfactory completion of an elementary statistics course;
- Submit the UAHuntsville Graduate Application for Admission. (apply online or download application form.)
- Submit a UAHuntsville Immunization Record.
- Complete and submit the Nursing Graduate Application to the Office of Graduate Programs or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1.
- Current unencumbered registered nurse license. If a student is permitted to meet course clinical requirements in a state other than Alabama, the student must be licensed in that state. Students will not be allowed to continue in the track if any license is placed on probation, suspended, or revoked. Licensure must be maintained throughout the program.
Applicants who meet or exceed both the GPA requirement and the GRE or MAT test score are eligible for unconditional admission to the graduate program. Students who meet only one of these criteria are eligible for conditional admission on a space available basis.
- Hits: 8957