- B.S. in Chemistry and materials, MS and PhD in Optical Science and Engineering.
- Lens design and modeling with Zemax, optical testing using interferometer, physical optics and polarization.
- 3 years experience in microfabrication techniques, polymer photonic devices fabrication process development and optical devices design.
- Ultracompact arrayed waveguide grating (AWG) design, simulation and fabrication.
- Experienced in high vacuum system, Microfabrication equipments service and maintenance.
- Inductively coupled plasma reactive ion etcher (ICP-RIE) process and recipe development.
- Electron beam lithography (EBL) system setup, auto alignment, e-beam resists and patterning.
- SEM and chemical Analysis by Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectrometry (EDS).
- Fabrication process development for waveguide and photonics devices.
- Measurement system setup and automation with LabView for optical fiber and waveguide device.
- Strong background with B.S. degree in chemistry and photosensitive materials.
- Fiber Bragg grating theory, design, fabrication, test and application.
- Commercial fiber optics components design, fabrication, test, packaging and marketing.
- Application Software: Matlab, BeamProp, Lab View, Zemax, and Lasi7.
- Strong analytical skills. Self-motivated, innovation, fast learner, teamwork and good communication skills.
- Treasurer, International Student Association, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Vice president, Badminton club, University of Alabama in Huntsville.
JOURNAL PUBLICATION VIA PEER REVIEW
1. Mollye Sanders, Yongbin Lin, Jianjun Wei, Taylor Bono, Robert G. Lindquist, An enhanced LSPR fiber-optic nanoprobe for ultrasensitive detection of protein biomarkers, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Volume 61, 15 November 2014, Pages 95-101, ISSN 0956-5663
2. Yongbin Lin, Yang Zou, and Robert G. Lindquist, "A reflection-based localized surface plasmon resonance fiber-optic probe for biochemical sensing," Biomed. Opt. Express 2, 478-484 (2011)
3. Lin, Yongbin; Zou, Yang; Mo, Yuanyao; Guo, Junpeng; Lindquist, Robert G."E-Beam Patterned Gold Nanodot Arrays on Optical Fiber Tips for Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Biochemical Sensing." Sensors 10, no. 10: 9397-9406 (2010).
4. Yang Zou, Jun Namkung, Yongbin Lin, Dan Ke, and Robert Lindquist, "Interference colors of nematic liquid crystal films at different applied voltages and surface anchoring conditions," Opt. Express 19, 3297-3303 (2011)
5. Zou, Yang; Namkung, Jun; Lin, Yongbin; Ke, Dan; Lindquist, Robert G., “Influence of a bias voltage on surface-driven orientational transitions for liquid crystal-based chemical and biological sensors,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Volume 44, Issue 13, pp. 135103 (2011).
6. Yang Zou, Yongbin Lin, Jun Namkun, and Robert G. Lindquist, “Gravitational Field Induced Orientational Transition of Aligned Nematic Liquid Crystals”, Liquid Crystal, Vol. 37, No. 9, September 2010, 1165–1169.
7. Yang Zou, Jun Namkung, Yongbin Lin and Robert Lindquist, “Optical monitoring of anchoring change in vertically aligned thin liquid crystal film for chemical and biological sensor,” Appl. Opt. 49, 1865-1869 (2010).
8. Yongbin Lin, Junpeng Guo, and Robert G. Lindquist, "Demonstration of an ultra-wideband optical fiber inline polarizer with metal nano-grid on the fiber tip," Opt. Express 17, 17849-17854 (2009).
9. Yongbin Lin, Nazli Rahmanian, Seunghyun Kim, Gregory P. Nordin, Chris Topping, Dennis W. Smith, Jr., and John Ballato, “Ultracompact AWG using air-trench bends with perfluorocyclobutyl polymer waveguides,” IEEE Journal of lightwave technology, Vol. 16, Issue 17, pp. 3062-3070, Sept., 2008.
10. Nazli Rahmanian, Seunghyun Kim, Yongbin Lin, and Gregory P. Nordin, “Air-trench splitters for ultra-compact ring resonators in low refractive index contrast waveguides,” Optics Express, Vol. 16, Issue 1, pp. 456-465, Jan. 2008.
11. Y. Lin, J. Cardenas, S. Kim, and G. P. Nordin, “Reduced loss through improved fabrication for single air interface bends in polymer waveguides,” Optics Express 14(26), pp. 12803-12813 (2006).
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
12. Mollye Sanders, Taylor Bono, Yongbin Lin, Krishnan Chittur, Robert Lindquist, “Optical fiber tip LSPR biological nanosensors.” NanoBio Summit, 17–19 October 2013, Montgomery, Alabama.
13. Yongbin Lin, Mollye Sanders, Taylor Bono, Krishnan Chittur, Robert Lindquist, “Improved nanofabrication for plasmonic nanostructures on optical-fiber tip for biosensors.” SPIE Optics+Photonics, San Diego, CA, 27 - 29 August 2013. (Invited talk)
14. Dan Ke; Yang Zou; Yongbin Lin; Lindquist, R.; , "Microfluidic biosensor using liquid crystal," Southeastcon, 2011 Proceedings of IEEE , vol., no., pp.42-44, 17-20 March 2011.
15. Yang Zou; Jun Namkung; Dan Ke; Yongbin Lin; Lindquist, R.; , "Surface driven orientational transitions of liquid crystals in a confined micro-structure," Southeastcon, 2011 Proceedings of IEEE , vol., no., pp.331-332, 17-20 March 2011
16. Robert Lindquist, Yongbin Lin, Yang Zou and Yuanyao Mo, “Using Fiber-Tip Based Localized Surface Plasma Resonance to Study Surface Driven Orientation Changes in Liquid Crystal Based Sensors.” 2010 MRS fall meeting, Boston, Ma, November 29 - December 1, 2010.
17. Haisheng Leong, Junpeng Guo, Yongbin Lin, Robert Lindquist, David Brady, “Integrated surface plasmon resonance spectral sensing using super-periodic nanohole array,” 77th Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Section of the APS Volume 55, Number 10 (2010).
18. Alaeddin S. Abu-Abed, Shadi A. Alboon, Yongbin Lin and Robert G. Lindquist, "Coupled surface plasmon resonance sensor with sensitive liquid crystal layer", Proc. SPIE 7955, 79550Q (2011); doi:10.1117/12.876299
19. Yongbin Lin, Yang Zou, Dan Ke, Jun Namkung, and Robert G. Lindquist, “Enhanced Sensitivity Using Liquid Crystals for Optical Fiber Based Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Sensor,” 2010 CLEO/QELS, San Jose, CA.
20. Yang Zou, Jun Namkung, Yongbin Lin, Dan Ke, and Robert Lindquis, “Enhanced Chemical and Biological Sensor Based on Liquid Crystal Using a Bias Electric Field,” 2010 CLEO/QELS, San Jose, CA.
21. Jun Namkung, Yang Zou, Dan Ke, Yongbin Lin, and Robert G. Lindquist, “Sensing Characteristics of Chemical Agents by Using Liquid Crystal-Based Chemical and Biological Sensors,” 2010 CLEO/QELS, San Jose, CA.
22. Junpeng Guo, Hai Sheng Leong, Boyang Zhang, Yongbin Lin, Robert G. Lindquist and David J. Brady, “Super-Periodic Nanohole Array for Integrated Surface Plasmon Resonance Sensor,” The International Conference on Nanophotonics 2010, May 30-June 3, Tsukuba, Japan,
23. Gregory P. Nordin, Seunghyun Kim, Nazli Rahmanian, and Yongbin Lin, “Compact Photonic Devices in Low Index Contrast Waveguides,” in Symposium on Organic Thin Films for Photonic Applications, OSA Technical Digest, (Optical Society of America, Washington DC, 2005), Paper SWB3, (Invited).
24. G. R. Wang, J. Guo, Y. Lin, J. Feng, J. Wei, B. S. Krish, S. Sundaram, “Laser-induced fluorescence photobleaching anemometer for flow velocity measurement in microscale fluidic channels,” Digest of 2006 IEEE-LEOS Summer Topical Meeting pp. 34-35, 17-19 July 2006, Quebec City, Canada.
25. H. S. Leong, J. Guo, Y. Lin, and R. Lindquist, “Enhanced surface plasmon resonance biosensor with nanostructure metamaterials” Alabama EPSCoR Annual Conference, July 22-24, 2008, Montgomery, AL, USA.
26. Yongbin Lin, Nazli Rahmanian, Seunghyun Kim, Gregory P. Nordin, “Compact and high efficiency polymer air-trench waveguide bends and splitters,” Photonics West 2007, San Jose, CA. Proceedings of SPIE -- Volume 6462, Jan. 2007.
27. Yongbin Lin, N Rahmanian, Seunghyun Kim, G. P. Nordin, “Fabrication of compact polymer waveguide devices using air-trench bends and splitters”, IEEE Southeastcon, 2008. pp. 421-426.
1. Gregory P. Nordin, Yongbin Lin, and Seunghyun Kim, “Ultra-compact planer AWG circuits and systems,” Allowance accepted, Jan. 2009.
2. Yongbin Lin, Gregory P. Nordin, and Seunghyun Kim, “SHARED SLAB AWG CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS.” Submitted Jan 2009.
1. Judger, Alabama science and engineering fair, for students in Grades 6-12, April, 2006.
2. Treasurer, International Student Association, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
3. Vice president, Badminton club, University of Alabama in Huntsville.
4. Reviewer for International Journals:
• Optics Express, Optical Society of America (OSA), US.
• Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, IOP Publishing Ltd., United Kingdom.
• Journal of Optics & Laser Technology, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Holland.
• IEEE Photonics Technology Letters