HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — (September 11, 2012) The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAHuntsville) will celebrate International Festival Week and host the third annual International Festival of North Alabama on September 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Spragins Hall.
The event is co-hosted by the International Society of Huntsville and is open to the public with no admission charge. Spragins Hall is located at 1070 Ben Graves Drive N.W., on the UAHuntsville campus.
The one-day, family friendly event features cultural performances, the parade of nations and tasting of international foods ($5). There will be free activities for children and college students, and a free international dessert sampling. Additional activities include global performances including folk dances and performance of traditional instrumentals to ethnic songs and an around the world fashion show.
UAHuntsville “International Festival Week” educational events include:
• Monday, Sept. 24 Lunch and Lecture series By Dr. Anne Marie Choup - 11:30 a.m. -1p.m. Business Administration Building room 229
• Tuesday, Sept. 25 Lecture – “Violence Against Women: Addressing Global Health Issues and Evidence-Based Practice for Policy Development,” by Dr. Judy McFarlane - 7 p.m., Chan Auditorium (sponsored by the College of Nursing and Women’s Studies)
• Wednesday, Sept. 26 Lecture: “Partner Violence: Evidence –Based Interventions to Promote Safety and Well Being for Women in Your Community,” Dr. Judith McFarlane, 9:30 a.m., Wilson Hall Theatre room 001 (sponsored by the College of Nursing and Women’s Studies)
• Sept. 26 Countries Exhibition and Cooking Demonstrations featuring Vietnam and China - 11 a.m. -1 p.m. Louis Salmon Library Gallery
• Sept. 26 Spanish Poetry Recitations - 4:30 p.m., Roberts Recital Hall
• Sept. 26 Study Abroad & Foreign Languages Showcase – 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., University Center Exhibit Hall
• Thursday, Sept. 27International Film: “Three Idiots” – Bollywood’s biggest box-office hit - 6 p.m. Louis Salmon Library room 111
• Friday, Sept. 28 Lunch and Lecture By Dr. David Johnson - 11:30 am – 1 p.m. Louis Salmon Library room 111
• Sept. 28 Poetry in Music - 7:30 p.m. First Baptist Church of Huntsville
• Saturday, Sept. 29 Art showcase title “Far and Away: UAHuntsville Students Preserve Memories” - 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Spragins Hall
• Sept. 29International Festival - 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Spragins Hall
Additional sponsors for the International Festival include the UAHuntsville Office of Student Affairs, Office of Diversity, Office of Research, Office of Advancement, Louis Salmon Library, and the spotlight contributor is Asha Kiran.
For more information, please contact Belinda.Ong@uah.edu or visit the event page on Facebook.
For more information
Joyce Anderson-Maples (256) 824-2101