HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (Nov. 4, 2013) - The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) is celebrating International Education Week (IEW) Nov. 11-18, with a lecture by acclaimed author Deborah J. Levine. IEW activities hosted on the UAH campus include films, panel discussions, international cuisine tasting, entertainment, and a free Thanksgiving dinner.
The week's activities begin on Monday, Nov. 11, with a Global Perspectives Institute Fulbright Scholars Panel at 8 a.m., in the Tom Bevill Center (room 280). At 10 a.m., award-winning (National Catholic Press Association) author Deborah Levine will lead the workshop "Global Southern Connections."
Levine is editor-in-chief of the American Diversity Report, and a blogger with The Huffington Post. Her publications include The Matrix Model Management System: Guide to Cross Cultural Wisdom, Inspire Your Inner Global Leader, and her most recent book publication Going Southern: The No-Mess Guide to the South. Additionally, Levine presents workshops, trains, and creates start-ups of community multicultural prospects. She is the president of the Cross Cultural Academy School of the South. Levine founded the DuPage/Chicago Interfaith Resource Network, and recently was honored with the 2013 Champion of Diversity Award from DiversityBusiness.com.
Additional International Education Week 2013 highlights include:
Nov. 11 events:
- Make Your Mark on the Map: Where We're From, Where We've Been, Where We're Going!, all day, Louis Salmon Library Lobby
- Henna/Calligraphy in Different Languages, 11 a.m., to 1 p.m., Louis Salmon Library Lobby
- Books For Africa: Donate books to aid children in Africa, all day, Louis Salmon Library Lobby
- "The Dialogue" Film & Moderated Discussion: Explorations in Cross-Cultural Friendship (Pizza and Popcorn), 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., Frank Franz Hall Multipurpose Room
Nov. 12 events:
- French Culture & Cuisine Bake Sale, all day, Morton Hall Lobby
- "Syria: Understanding the Conflict," presentation by Dr. Kathy Hawk, Director, Global Understanding Initiative, 5:30 p.m., to 7 p.m., Morton Hall 204
Nov. 13 events:
- Display & Presentation: Political Figures Throughout History + Desserts, 10 a.m., to 2 p.m., Morton Hall Lobby
- Make Your Mark on the Map: Where We're From, Where We've Been, Where We're Going!, all day, Morton Hall Lobby
- Study Abroad Fair: Where Will You Go?, 11 a.m., to 2 p.m., University Center Lobby
Nov. 14 events:
- Slavic Culture & Cuisine Bake Sale, all day, Morton Hall Lobby
Nov. 15 events:
- Dance, Dance, Dance! Demonstrations and performances featuring global dance forms such as salsa, belly-dancing, Bollywood, ballroom, and more!, 11a.m., to 2 p.m., University Center (The Slab)
Nov. 18 events:
- Annual Harvest Dinner featuring American Thanksgiving-style dinner - FREE!, 4:30 p.m., to 7:30 p.m., Baptist Student Center
Participating sponsors for 2013 International Education Week activities include:
UAH Office of Diversity, Office of Vice-President for Research, Office of International Engagement, UAH: Division of Student Affairs, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures, Department of Political Science, Global Studies Program, M. Louis Salmon Library International Services Council of Alabama, Fulbright Alumni Association: Alabama Chapter, Chinese Student & Scholar Association, French Club, Indian Student Organization, International Student Association, Political Science Club, Salsa Club, Slavic Club, and SGA First Council.
For more information, contact: