Alpha Kappa Delta
Epsilon of Alabama Chapter at UAHuntsville Membership
It shall be the purpose of this Society to promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
To become a Member:
In order to become inducted into the honor society you must meet all of the following criteria:
- either express a serious interest in sociology or be a major or minor in sociology
- be a junior, senior, or graduate
- be in the top 35% of your UAH class, as of the last available data:
for Juniors in 2009 this is currently a GPA of 3.213 or higher;
for Seniors in 2009 this is currently a GPA of 3.328 or higher.
- have a GPA of at least 3.0 over all of your UAH sociology courses
- have completed at least four sociology courses at UAH.
- pay the Lifetime Membership fee of $40.
New members receive a one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, one of sociology’s longest running research journals. New members also receive a certificate that recognizes their induction into the honors society and become eligible to enter several undergraduate paper competitions. As a group, members of the local chapter of AKD, Epsilon of Alabama, may apply to receive funds to host speakers or travel to conferences. Finally, members can also order Honor Cords to wear at graduation for $8.
Visit the national AKD website: http://sites.google.com/site/alphakappadeltainternational/
Contact Dr. Mitch Berbrier, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, for information concerning Alpha Kappa Delta's chapter at UAHuntsville.
- Hits: 506