This Year's Competition Guidelines:
Sponsored by: The Ruth Hindman Foundation and the UAH English Department
Judged by: A panel of nationally recognized, award-winning authors, directors of creative writing programs, and editors of literary journals.
Award: $2000 prize
Limitations: Original fiction manuscripts must be unpublished and may not exceed 5000 words in length. Multiple submissions are acceptable so long as we are notified immediately in the event that a manuscript is selected by another competition or publication.
Deadline: January 15, 2015 (postmark)
Tax-deductible Entry Fee: Check or money order for $20.00 for each submission, made out to the Ruth Hindman Foundation, a philanthropic institution which awards scholarships nationwide to undergraduate and graduate students.
Format: All manuscripts must be free of any means of author identification. A cover sheet must accompany each submission. This cover sheet must indicate the title of the story, the author's name and address, and the approximate word count.
How Do You Submit Your Story? Electronic submission is encouraged, but hard copy is also acceptable.
A cover page or electronic form must accompany each entry (this will not be seen by the judges). The cover page or form must include the author’s name, address and phone number, email (if available).
Whether electronic or on paper, any story found to include the author's identity within the body of the submission will be automatically disqualified.
Electronic payment is made via PayPal. We discourage paper checks because their reception and administration increases the cost of the Competition and reduces the funds available for Ruth Hindman scholarships. By prior electronic communication, checks may be an acceptable form of payment.
Submission of entries: Mail submissions to Department of English, Morton Hall 222, H.E. Francis Contest, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL 35899. Or upload the file on the Enter link. Provide the submission in a PDF format. Personal information must NOT be included with text of the story.
A submission is complete when it includes all of the following:
Entry fee (check made payable to: Ruth Hindman Foundation)
Three copies of the manuscript
If desired, SASE for announcement of winner
Author retains all publication rights. Winners requested that the Status of H.E. Francis Award winner be mentioned in future publications.
Winners, semi-finalists and finalists are encouraged to list the H.E. Francis Competition on their vitae.
Announcement of Winner: March 2015
If a story under consideration for an H.E. Francis Competition prize is offered and accepts a prize from another competition before our winner is announced, the story may be withdrawn, in writing or online.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- Void where prohibited by law. Federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- The HE Francis Competition is not responsible for any individual's inability to enter this contest, including but not limited to: failed software or hardware transmissions; unavailable network, server, telephone or other connections; errors of any kind, whether human, electronic, or mechanical regarding lost, misdirected, late, incomplete or damaged entries; or for any damage to any computer, network, hardware or software related to or resulting from participation.
- The HE Francis Competition reserves the right to end or modify the contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the contest as determined by our sole discretion.
- Entrants agree to the following: The Sponsors, their respective promotional partners, affiliated companies, agencies and their employees are not liable for injury, losses, damages or costs of any kind resulting from participation in this contest, or in results of accepting or using the prize awarded. By entering the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these rules.
- The Contest may be terminated without prior notice at any time after it begins.