Employment Options

Employment Options For International Students F1 and FJ
Working on campus is a great opportunity to build your social network, expand your academic opportunities and earn extra spending money while studying in the U.S. International students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week (on campus) while school is in session. For more information check with the International Student and Scholar Office or visit the Career Development website uah.edu/careerservices.

J-1 Exchange Visitors
Students in J-1 status must speak to the Responsible Officer of their sponsoring program to learn if they are eligible to work while in the US.


Off Campus Employment
Immigration regulations require F-1 and J-1 students to be complete a full time course of study for one full academic year before becoming eligible for any type of off campus employment.

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Students who are offered a Cooperative Education position through the UAH Coop Office will be authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

UAHuntsville does not authorize CPT for students desiring a summer job or internship unless it is required for graduation. Required internship courses are listed under the degree requirements for each major in the UAHuntsville catalog and will be indicated on the Program of Study. Students must register for the internship course during their employment time.

Students who want a summer job or internship must apply for Optional Practical Training.

Students who use 12 months of full time CPT will be ineligible for Optional Practical Training.

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)
See blue sheet for detailed information on Optional Practical Training

OPT is typically used by students during the 12 month period immediately following graduation from UAHuntsville.

Students who want a summer job or internship may apply to use part of their Optional Practical Training in the summer while school is not in session. The portion used during summer subtracts from the 12 moths of total OPT for that degree level.

It normally takes about 90 days to receive OPT employment authorization from the Immigration Service. A current processing estimate is provided by the Immigration Service when the student applies for OPT.